Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Opinon/Facts on gears.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, heres the question. Are used gears ok, or don't bother with them? I am thinking about trying to find a set of used 4.56's for my 10 bolt front, but don't know if I should buy new or used. I am on a tight budget. I am in college and have no job, so I have no extra $. What do you all think? Thanks

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

No dont waste your time. Gears get a wear pattern and when you put them in another axle then wear differently and with whine like crazy and eventually break. If you have to then get a used set, but be ready to replace then shortly after.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree with DD. Plus keep in mind the install labor costs if you can't do it yourself. You may just want to look for a set w/ 4.56's already in them. They aren't impossible to find, but it does take a little searching

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't be too concerned about used gears, especially if they are going in the front axle. The number of miles you put on a front set of gears is extremely low, my truck is used almost strictly for off-road but it does get driven to the trail. I would guess that less than 10% of the total mileage I drive with it is actually in four wheel drive, and hence using the front gears.

As far as used gears whining and breaking when put in a different axle, I don't know why they would if they were set correctly in the original axle and then set up correctly in the new axle??? The backlash and contact pattern should be basically the same, or at least close. Sure, it might not be the ideal situation, but it shouldn't be that bad, right??

Just keep in mind that if you are doing a complete rebuild (new bearings) and are paying a shop to install them, the total amount of money saved between used and new ring and pinions becomes a smaller percentage.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have used 4.56s in my front axle. No problems with them. Check them carefully before you buy them and make sure they are matched. Ring and pinion gears are matched in specific pairs. You can't mix and match, so make they haven't been. There should be some markings on them to indicate they match or you have to trust your seller.

Gears are designed to be setup with certain tolerances. It doesn't matter what axle they are in as long as they are setup with the right tolerances. I used used gears in my race car many times. That's like saying you can't use two different brand tires with a locker. If they are the same size and wear the same, that's the critical part. If your gears are setup with the right tolerances, that how they mesh. Not based on the housing.

With all that said, a good used set of 4.56s for a 10-bolt will run you around $80-100. A new set around $150. For both you will need complete install kits (around $90) and someone to install them (around $250-300). So, what you would save going with used gears isn't much overall. You would probably be better off getting a new set from someone like <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ring-pinion.com>Randy's Ring &amp; Pinion</a>. I run their Yukon gears in my rear axle and love'em.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

6. DesertDueler

Same reason you dont reuse lifters on a new cam, or put the lifters in different spots when you pull outthe cam. They get a wear pattern in them and unless you set them up the exact same way they came out(as far as the old tolerances were) they wont go in exactally the same. In other words if someone set them up a little looser than the manufactures specs, then you set then up the second time at the specs they will whine.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

you want facts, here are the facts

never mix and match the ring &amp; pinion gears.. as was stated, they are matched at the factory. Used gears are O.K. if the wear pattern is normal, especially for front gears you should be fine. They WILL have to be setup correctly, just the same as a NEW gear set. R&amp;P are setup to have a specific contact pattern and if that is wrong, well then obviously something is going to give, regardless if its a new or used set of gears. I have heard of people swapping the guts of one broken housing, into another. In my opinion this is crazy as that would only work if both housings were machined (internally) exactly the same. Highly unlikely! the carrier and pinion gear will have to be shimmed accordingly.

One thing to remember, is that the 4.56's will probably require a different series carrier than what you're currently running. so you'll need that too. I know lots of people who have bought and installed used gears even for rear axles.. I wouldnt recommend it for my daily driver but for a cruiser or a front axle on a 4x4 I say go for it.

good luck

mike

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Your analogy really is not accurate. The cam and lifter deal would be the same as getting a used ring gear from one vehicle and then putting it with a used pinion gear out of another vehicle, or putting a new bearing in but re-using the old race.

I'm not saying that putting used gear sets is the best way, but it should work okay as long as the ring and pinion are in good shape to begin with and they are set up correctly.

BTW, I recently rebuilt my 14FF with a used gear set and it does not whine at all.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Used gears are not a problem if it is a clean matched set. Just make sure they are set up correctly.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

10. DesertDueler

What I am saying is they had to have been setup correctly in the first place, and you dont know that when you buy them used. You can set them up correctly when you get them, but it doesnt mean thats the way it was set the first time. Thats all I am saying. If you know they were setup right the first time then it should be okay for a front axle, but you are still talking about a really small pinion gear for a 10 bolt, so you want it to be as strong as you can get. You can get new gears for 140 or buy used for 100, but harley I know you are tight on cash, so either way you choose I will still put them in. Most likely you will break front axles first anyways.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well okay, I guess were are agreeing now.

I guess when it comes to how much the used gears cost, I would never even consider paying $100 for a used gear set when new ones could be had for $150 or less. Around here you can buy a complete 10-bolt axle for $100. If you could buy a used set for $50 or less than that would be good, any more than that and might as well get new.

Another reminder, if you do buy used gears, try to make sure they came out of a front axle (some axles like the 10-bolts use the exact same gear sets front or rear) because they will only have a fraction of the mileage as rear gears will, assuming they did not come from a full-time 4x4 vehicle.