Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Opinons on Tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Nov 5, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Ive decided to go with a 35" tire. Now here lies the question- stick with a gold ol BFG Mud or go with a Super Swamper. I want to be different and go with a swamper but I do drive 400 round trip from home to college 1 or 2 times a month. I dont want obnoxious loud or super fast wear either. Id either get a TSL Radial or a SSR. Need opinons on those two tires, pros/cons, whatever. Im leanin towards a 35 14.50 SSR. To bad there 100 bucks more apiece than a 35 BFG. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

goto tirerack.com, dunlop mud tires for 35x12.5x15 are $105 a piece. thats what i am getting, I have friends that have them and they love them.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

is there a 35x12.50 SSR? that would be my recomendation.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I went with 36" Ground Hawgs II (radial) becouse they wear like iron even with alot of street usage. Lookie here /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Don't get any of Swampers radials. I am sure many people have had good luck with them, I had two blow outs with them. I've heard many people complain about the same thing. I put 37" Good Year MTR's on mine. They are by far the best on/off road tire I have ever had. I don't know how the wear over time yet. I know they do make those in 35's.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Katie bar the door, here we go again.................................

7. daleearnhardt01

Whats wrong BRB?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

BFG muds are the best tire I've ever had for on/off road use. They wear well and are quiet.

Nothing can touch swampers in off road performance though. Going from BFG Muds to swampers is like a night and day difference.

Thats why I'm buying some cheap all terrains and I already have my swampers.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats wrong BRB?

[/ QUOTE ]

The infamous tire question. There are more opinions on tires than there is ways to make fun of liberals.................

So with that, I had a set of BFG MT's on for 5 years and about 60K miles...........................Ran them about a year longer than I should of. That's my two cents worth...............

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

Nothing can touch swampers in off road performance though

[/ QUOTE ] Depends on where you wheel. From what I've seen, Swampers are kings for you rock crawlers. But I still like to go mudding, and sence I can't afford street tire, trail tires, and mud tires, the Ground Hawgs made more sence.

11. daleearnhardt01

Yeah thats what I have now. Something is tellin me to stick with what ya know works well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah thats what I have now. Something is tellin me to stick with what ya know works well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that's a good formula to follow. So good in fact that I bought the same tires to replace the worn out ones.

Of course if I was to change my wheeling habits, then I would change tires, but the BFG's are a good all around tire for the non-extreme stuff.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Depends on where you wheel. From what I've seen, Swampers are kings for you rock crawlers.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT?

I have never rock crawled in my life.

I would love to try it, but never have.

Ground Hawgs are directional and I'd never run them on my truck. Gumbo Mudders maybe, but not Ground Hawgs. I run mostly rutted muddy trails. I know you like Ground Hawgs but I'm not sure exactly why. They are hard as a rock though and I imagine would wear like iron.

I'd say if you already have BFG muds and they do what you want, run them!! They'll wear much better than swampers and they're quiet too.

I have never ran a wide 35, but I thought I liked narrower tires until I tried these Swampers in 38.5x16 (got a good deal on them). Now, I think wider is definitely better, but it does inhibit trying to run huge tires on small lift. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would go with the 35x14.50 SSR's, its a great tire. I had 33x14.50's for a long time and racked up over 20K on them and they were almost half worn when I sold them. As for Tim mentioning wider is better, I totally agree! In almost any offroad situation or terrain a wider tire can only help you. Plus you can run a wider rim and float better over mud and sand. I'd go with the SSR's, they rode much better than my old BFG's. They can be a little noisy when they wear down a waise but I don't mind the pleasant hum in my opinion compared to that slapping sound that my old BFG's made. I like a tire that hums a little.

15. daleearnhardt01

what size rim with a 14.50 tire? Im goin 16.5 for diameter. So its either 9.75 or 12

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, get some goodyear MT/Rs... best all around tire there is IMO... and they are comparitively cheap too. Definitely the best "MT" type of tire in actual mud, and great for rocks too. Prolly wear better than swampers too.

j

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    what size rim with a 14.50 tire? Im goin 16.5 for diameter. So its either 9.75 or 12

[/ QUOTE ] I would personally go with a 12" because the tread width is I think 12.6" or something on that tire. It would give that flat across look instead of sucked in like a 9.75" would give. Just don't air down too far offroad and you will be fine plus with a wider rim it gives you a flater foot print with more PSI and that is one thing airing down tries to accomplish. You don't get the sidewall flex at higher psi but if you don't do rocks then that doesn't matter. Just my opinion from the guy with a 35x16 bogger and 16.5x14weld combo so you can see where I am coming from. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

10" rims work great for my 15" wide 39.5s... 9.75s should be fine.

j

20. daleearnhardt01

The more and more I ponder over the issue the more I keep goin back to BFG. I know how they do and they are bout 100 bucks cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Now if I could get a SSR for a bit cheaper than yeah Id be all over em.