Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need pics hidden winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Feb 3, 2005.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i sold my winch and grille guard like a duma$$ a few weeks ago.. now i really miss it.i am looking into replaceing it with a hidden winch . need some pics for some ideals.. going on a 79 k20 and going with at least a 12k winch.

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have a feeling that you are asking about doing a whidden winch using a stock bumper...but I will post a pic of mine anyways.

Its pretty basic, winch mounts between the frame rails below the grill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Once again, innocence is destroyed, and it's Americans destroying other Americans. This conduct runs wild in this country ... It's not the Taliban doing it. It's Americans." -Ted Nugent

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

3. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Here's one I made:

118-1813_IMG.JPG

118-1819_IMG.JPG

4. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

yes i would like to use my stock bumper :crazy: but i know it may be too much to ask for. its just that i like the old style chevy truck look and i like to keep my truck looking orginal. i guess its an old guys thing;)

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have seen what you are after, just not sure the best way to do it. You would need a good strong mount for the winch that is basically independant of the factory bumper...or maybe the factory ties into. I wouldn't use the factory bumper as any kind of supporting structure except for the fairlead.

[​IMG]

"Once again, innocence is destroyed, and it's Americans destroying other Americans. This conduct runs wild in this country ... It's not the Taliban doing it. It's Americans." -Ted Nugent

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

6. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i think a few years ago a company named hickey sidewinder winch used to offer a hidden kit for my 79 k20 truck but i forget that was before ck5:D and the internet. but anyways i know i can find out from you guys here at ck5 how to do it:D

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Hickey indeed sold the Sidewinder; Ramsey also made a kit to put some of their older winches in the 73-80 trucks behind the factory bumper.

Mind you, IIRC, the dealer option was a Warn 8274 -- not factory, but close :)

I have the Ramsey ... looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Comes out, though not perfectly, where the front license plate went. Handle on right is the clutch, and plug for remote is on the left (of picture, not of truck.)

Lemme tell you, getting it in there was a beeeyotch, and I had all the hardware and original instructions (thanks, Doug #2!) I like the way it's tucked up under the frame rails, but it's a PITA to get in there.

This winch also has a completely different mounting pattern than the modern ones, so I've NO freakin' idea how you'd get the new style in there.

Anyway, this one has a bunch of 1/4" angle iron and flat stock that holds it up inbetween the frame rails; nothing mounts to the bumper (which is good, as previously mentioned, as the bumper is not structural!)

-- A

8. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

One of lasts years petersons4wheel and offroad mags, showed how to do a behind the stock bumper hidden winch. I cant remember the month, but it had a red blazer on the cover. It was either march or may, not for sure thou.