Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Pics of custom exhaust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by badassblazer03, Feb 24, 2004.

1. badassblazer03

badassblazer03 Registered Member

Need Pics so i can figure out how to do mine, I really need good pics from the Headers to the rear axle.
    Thanks
    -Stew /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    hooker comp headers, dual 2.5" pipe, dual 40 series flowmasters, dual 5" tips.

3. badassblazer03

looks pretty kick arse but I really need pics further up towards the transfer cast because i need to look at clearences and stuff like that
    -Stew /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's hard for me to get good pics..
    because the pipes are hidden..
    But here's one..of the better ones..

[​IMG]

5. badassblazer03

Was that really the only spot to do a H pipe? or are there other areas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    -Stew

6. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Was that really the only spot to do a H pipe? or are there other areas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    -Stew

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pretty much going to have to do it behind the transfer case like that. I'm getting ready to have a custom exhaust fabbed for my K5 and all of the shops I've taken it to have estimated the work with that exact design in mind.

7. rjfguitar

A crossover is useless if it is behind the t-case. For it to be effective it needs to be up close to the headers, to find out where it is supposed to be exactly...you are supposed to paint the piping and then fire it up and watch it burn off. Where ever it quits burning is supposedly where the crossover is needs to be to make it effective. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I don't have a crossover on mine and like it better because it sounds bigger and better that way.

8. badassblazer03

So I am geussing that having a SM465 wouldn't free up any room, will it make a difference in performance if i had a H pipe, is it really needed?
    -Stew /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    A crossover is useless if it is behind the t-case. For it to be effective it needs to be up close to the headers, to find out where it is supposed to be exactly...you are supposed to paint the piping and then fire it up and watch it burn off. Where ever it quits burning is supposedly where the crossover is needs to be to make it effective. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I don't have a crossover on mine and like it better because it sounds bigger and better that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG!!! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I can agree with finding the ideal location...
    I tried running FLOWMASTERS w/o the H pipe..
    It ran and sounded like CRAP!!!

I called Flowmaster..
    of course they said...
    the closer the better...
    But they said...a H pipe on the exhaust...
    is better than NO H Pipe...

After installing a Summit H pipe kit...
    My rig ran MUCH better...
    and sounded better too!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You may wanna talk to Greg72...
    and some others...they've done the same thing!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. rjfguitar

Well I had 2 guys that own and work in an exhaust shop that do that stuff all day long and said it doesn't make all that much of a difference and is basically useless if it isn't in the right spot.

11. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Well I had 2 guys that own and work in an exhaust shop that do that stuff all day long and said it doesn't make all that much of a difference and is basically useless if it isn't in the right spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah...I was told I was wasting time by my muffler installer too...

But I'm happy I went thru the trouble.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

No offense, but most of the guys I have dealt with at exhaust shops weren't exactly qualified to know the physics behind why a crossover pipe even placed further downstream than ideal was still better than none at all.

Half of them surprised me that they could tie their own shoes each morning. Of course, they could weld a mean pipe... but still. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I don't even have room for a H-Pipe on my shortbed because I have cats on mine. And there is for sure no room infront of the trans and T-Case.

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Run a single exhaust. Y pipe into 3in pipe. Do a search or thumb through member photos and you'll find tons...

15. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

They are just trying to get your rig outta there so they can get on to the next one.

LAZY....

16. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[​IMG]

Here's a dual 2 1/2" with a crossover into a single 3". The dude did a sweet job of going up and over the transfer case yoke. I can drop the tranny without fokking with the exhause at all.

17. badassblazer03

I geuss the main question is will I loose alot of power If i don't have one.
    -stew /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. Ignato

Ignato Registered Member

I know it's off the subject...but curious:
    How much would it cost for someone to weld some new exhaust on my rig, like you guys have on yours? My little cherry bomb, coming out of 1 - 1 1/2 inch pipe just isn't cutting it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    That and I can't weld....

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I geuss the main question is will I loose alot of power If i don't have one.
    -stew /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not a lot, just a little on the low end maybe.

20. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I think what you are talking about comes from the drag guys tuning their hedder collectors. What they do is run their collectors long, fire up the car and let it run. They then take a plastic rod and run it from the hedder, down the collector and where it stops melting is where they cut the pipe. At tht point it is said that exhaust is "tuned" for optimum torque.

Having said that though, I do agree (as I've "heard") that the crossover (X pipes are better) should be as close to the collector as possible. But as was said eilier, a balance pipe late in the exhaust is better than not having one at all, IMO, if for nothing more than smoothing out that exhaust note...