Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need pics-Tire Carrier Bumper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JIM88K5, Feb 1, 2006.

1. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any pics of tire carrier bumpers. Preferably the DIY or The Blazen Off Road. I did a search and The one I see the most is the one on the red k5.
    Thats a nice bumper but I realy want to see a Blazen Off Road or DIY set-up.Thanks

2. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Ditto. I want one sooooo bad.

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

heres some old ones.

I'll get you some new ones on Friday.

Thanks
    Jesse

Tire bumper1.jpg

Tire bumper2.jpg

Tire bumper4.jpg

4. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Jesse please take no offense to this... It is not directed at you

When are one of the vendors going to design a better design for the tire carrier hinge:confused: It esp. effects us full size guys because in general we are running bigger tires and our rigs create more movement during flex. I recently started the build of my rear bumper and decided not to incorporate a rear swing away because of the pictures and stories I've heard of the hinge breaking away and 35" + tires flying down the highway. I have a few Ideas but with limited time, cash and tooling it takes me alot longer than it would others.

heres a good example of what I'm talking about if any of you are unaware.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302487&highlight=tire+hinge+failure

again I mean no disrespect for any of our Great CK5 vendors or any others for that matter But I was hoping someone had reinvented the wheel by now. Many may say well it's only a $40 part if it fails just get a new one :crazy: and that might be fine if you're only running it on the trail, but the risk associated with failures like the ones describe in the link I posted could be extremely expensive.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

DPI was building a different design a couple of years ago, here's a pic of the one he built for me -

Edit : :doah:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I think the kicker is that you can only hang so much weight on the frame; coupla gas cans and a tire are heavy enough ... add to that the lever length if you fold the carrier out, and the frame-to-bumper junction is seriously stressed.

I just went tailgate-less, and built a tube frame inside, bolted to the bedsides to existing holes. I think it's 1.25" tube; I had to notch the top slightly to slide it down, but it fits nice and tight. (Some of that is my amazing measuring ability, cough:rolleyes:)

I've only got two can holders and an air tank on there -- oh, and the Hi-Lift, as I wanted to keep rear visibility (i.e. no spare), but I could hang my Isuzu on that thing without much concern. :D

Sure, those of you worried about the elements won't wanna go this way ... but it IS structurally sound and keeps my bedsides together :D

-- A

tailgate-notch-6.JPG

tailgate-hilfit-mount-6.JPG

tailgate-final-7.JPG

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I'll throw a couple of mine in. Not sure what's going on with the picture in nvrenuf, but I can't see it.

Here's a couple of my design...These distribute weight to both frame rails and your will not get the side sagging like the side hinged carriers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Oh, and it's easier to load the tire, and you can use it as a step for the tall rigs.

9. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

No offense taken. I don't make my hinges, I believe Kert gets his from &^%$## too. I havn't heard of such failures as you've mentioned before this. I defnately don't want someone losing a tire on the freeway.

Holy *(*&^ batman.

Thanks you very much for alerting me to that thread, very important. Looks like I will be not selling these tire carriers anymore.

And I will admit a DPI design or Poison Syder Customs setup with bushings works well. I just had many customers demanding a swing out carrier with gas tanks and high lift mount.

Thanks,
    Jesse

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

If it is properly secured at the other side, will that not help the current design?

11. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I would prefer a swing out as well, maybe if I get the time and money soon I can mess with my design and see if it will work any better;)

12. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

The problem if I understand it correctly is metal fatigue due to vibrations in the spindle and excessive weight from the length of the carriers which is unseen until failure. A latch will extend life but I don't think it saves it:(

13. steve_kibbe

Gotcha. I just read more of the pirate post, I would find the biggest possible spindle, and go from there, or totally redesign it. I agree with there being alot of weight for the spindle to handle it. I would maybe try to take a look at how the h2's carriers are designed.:thinking:

14. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

One thing that would help with weight distribution, when it's closed atleast. Is to make sure the carrier is not being totally supported by the spindle.

If the total weight of the carrier is riding on the spindle when it's closed, then I can see the fatigue being an issue.

There is a ton of leverage especially the further the tire is from the spindle. So you would want to keep the tire as close to the pivot point as possible.

I am surprised to see that kind of failure on Pirate. Can someone do the math to see what kind of weight, due to leverage, the spindle is seeing?

15. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

That's what happens when you try o post a quicky when you're busy at work. :rotfl: It was my attempt to show that same pic of your K5.

16. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I had a spare 10 bolt laying around so I took the spindle and hub off. I then had the WMS machined off the hub. The plan is to use it, it's a bit bulky but will allow for a spare hub to be carried and the stock spindle should start to bend instead of crack and break. Lets hear your thoughts:wink1:

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sigh... for some reason I can't quote the pic... but I'm talking about the carriers that DPI posted pics of, especially pic#2, the red K5. Anyway...

exactly what I plan on doing with mine, though the "stinger" part of it will be shorter (lift up the edge of the tire as opposed to the tube) and the rear end of my rig is bobbed, so it will be mounted further forward. Great pic and a very good design. Barring a wreck or ludicrously thin-walled-tube, that tire ain't coming off.

Another good thing about that design is that you can more easily mount a tire up there by yourself. Getting one of my 40s up onto a swing out carrier would take at least two strong men... and only one lives in this house. :)

j

18. steve_kibbe

Is this the red k5 you're talking about?:D

002.jpg

19. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The one & only :D

20. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Well I'm glad I stirred the pot on the carrier hinge asy, but show me the pics:thumb: