Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need pitman arm

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ErikH, Oct 29, 2001.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Help! I'm in the process of converting over to power steering, and up until now everything has gone smooth.

It seems that the splined shaft on the manual gear box is about 3/32" smaller than the shaft on the power steering gear box, and now the original pitman arm won't connect!

I've called several salvage yards as well as every autoparts store here in Orange County, and no one has a pitman arm for sale. I could buy a 20+ year-old gearbox-arm combo for $150, but I already bought a waranteed rebuilt box for $160. So uh, okay... I could also spend $100 at a GM dealer, but, well, that's absurd for just a pitman arm.

So, does anyone have a good source for this surprisingly rare part?
    Erik

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

theyre not really tjhat hard ot find are they ?!
    I like gave one away when I sold the steering box off the 72, I left it clamped to the box not thinking it was a hard to find part or anthing special. Am/was I wrong ?
    What about an arm for a 73-79 ?

'72 K-5 4x4, CST, 3.07, 4 speed, NP 205, 31' x 10.5", Olive green and primer, rusted out, rice smasher!

3. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Today I learned that GM considers their pitman arm to be a "non-wear" item, which means nobody makes them. As far as I can tell, this goes for all the pitman arms on their 1/2 and 3/4-ton 4x4's made from '69 to '87!!

Salvage yards do have them, but they won't sell you one WITHOUT the gearbox for less than $150. I really don't need a 20-year gear box, especially when rebuilt boxes are so cheap.

I either have to make another day-trip to the junkyard, and hope I can find another '69-'87 K/5/10/20 with power steering, or I can order it direct from GM for $90. Time is short, so I'm headin' to the dealer. Dammit!

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i'll be damned,......learn something new everyday.... (sounds of silence followed by the sounds of Randy kicking himself)

'72 K-5 4x4, CST, 3.07, 4 speed, NP 205, 31' x 10.5", Olive green and primer, rusted out, rice smasher!

5. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Eric, let me check when I get home this afternoon. I think I have one but am not positive. I know I have a steering box under my bench and I believe it has the arm on it. I will let you know late this afternoon if you want me to.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a spare pitman arm laying in the shed on the floor. Its in good condition. And its not hooked up to a gear box either.

How's $25 shipped to your door sound?

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

7. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I already ordered the part from a local Chevy dealer, but I'll see if I can cancel it... probably not. But if I can cancel it, I'll definitely be interested in buying one from someone on this board. I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for the help!
    Erik

8. californiak5

I found the one here at the house, so if you end up needing one let me know. I was going to say the same price as Wes. I am down in Oceanside so it would probably take a day or two to get to you thru UPS ground shipping. So whatever you want to do is cool.

See Ya,
    Keith

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

9. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I lucked out. I was able to cancel the order...

So, CAK5, I'd love to get the arm ASAP (since my K5 now sits uncovered in the rain). I'll gladly pay additional fees for quick delivery. Of course before you run off and ship the arm, I wanna verify the shaft diameter. I'll measure the shaft tonight and get back to you. Please e-mail me so I can confirm that you got this message.

kickinit@home.com

Thanks again for the help.
    Erik

10. californiak5

Sent a e-mail. Let me know if you got it.

My e-mail addy is : kvanhorn@egragh.com

See Ya,
    Keith