Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Police or Highway Patrol input here please.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Dec 12, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Ok, I bought my Jimmy in June 2004, It was originaly from Ohio, but I Bought it from a guy in Sacramento (What I understand was I bought it from the nephew, and the Uncle lived in ohio). I took it in to register it in my name that same week. The DMV could only find the VIN on the door pillar, there was none on the dash. They wouldn't register it with out 2 locations. I was told the CHP could find them or issue me a new VIN.

I took the truck home, for 2 weeks, I did nothing. Then I started a few mods to get my project rolling. That turned into a year and a half. Now it totally looks like a different truck, but its not legaly mine....

So how do I go about getting it legal to me? Just take it to the CHP and have them issue me a new vin? I don't care about fines really, I'll pay them, I just want to have it be legal and in my name.
    :confused:

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Look on the frame about in the area under the door. The vin should be stamped on the frame. Or it would be on the build sheet on the glove box door or sometimes they are located on one of the front inner wheel wells.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i could sell ya a title. :D j/k

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Have the CHP inspect it. They will check for hidden VIN's. The number on the frame won't match the VIN if it is a 73. They didn't start putting a similar number on the frame until later. My 74's both had a totally different number on the frame, albeit signifying it was a 74 frame. You will probably be asked though if you want to certify it as being a "non-op" if it sat since the original purchase. If the CHP can certify the door VIN as being correct, you are good to go. Go to DMV, tell them it has been non-op status since you bought it, pay up the fees to get it up to snuff and you are set. If CHP can't confirm the VIN, you can get a special vehicle VIN issued to the rig.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

dude, i feel like i should pay you for all this info! Thanks a million, i'm not sweating it nearly as much now! So its illegal to drive, but I have to drive it to the CHP right? I'm guessing i have to drive it straight there or something.

Second. What does it take to make it legal? I'm on the DMV site now, have been for an hour. I'm thinking

Head Lights, High and Low
    Blinkers front and rear (are side marker lights and blinkers required?)
    brake lights, running lights
    mirrors
    windshield (is this or is it only windshield wipers?)
    windshield wipers
    Hazards
    seat belts
    speedometer (is this the only instrument required?)
    parking brake?
    back up lights

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Horn.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks, i actually forgot that one! haha
    found this, so i dont need side reflectors
    (a) Motortrucks, trailers, semitrailers, and buses 80 or more inches in width manufactured on or after January 1, 1968, shall be equipped with an amber reflector on each side at the front and a red reflector on each side at the rear. Any vehicle may be so equipped. (b) Motortrucks, trailers, semitrailers, housecars, and buses 80 or more inches in width and 30 or more feet in length manufactured on or after January 1, 1968, shall be equipped with an amber reflector mounted on each side at the approximate midpoint of the vehicle. Any such vehicle manufactured prior to January 1, 1968, may be so equipped.

or side blinkers
    Visibility Requirements of Signals
    24952. A lamp-type turn signal shall be plainly visible and understandable in normal sunlight and at nighttime from a distance of at least 300 feet to the front and rear of the vehicle, except that turn signal lamps on vehicles of a size required to be equipped with clearance lamps shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet during such times.

(b) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front.

8. Desert Rat

Well, it is going to depend on whether or not the CHP certifies it as a valid 73 VIN. You don't have to drive it to CHP for them to inspect it. In fact, local cops can also to a VIN check. Call the CHP, then the local PD and ask if they do them. Some agencies will send out an officer if it is slow. They can sign a form given to you by DMV certifying the VIN. Once you have that, go to DMV and tell them you want to transfer ownership to you. With a vehicle that old, they may just do it without even looking at it, especially since it is smog exempt. With my two 74's and my 76 I haven't had to bring any of them to DMV. I just paid the fees and they registered them. I did non-ops for two of them for a while too. A non-op costs much less.

So, the DMV may make you pay back fees for the non-op from the time you bought it to current, then you pay the current fee to register it as an operating vehicle. And, as I said, don't drive it down there unless they tell you to bring it. If they do, then they will inspect it to make sure everything is up to snuff. They will go over it like a cop would if they stopped you and conducted a vehicle equipment check.

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks again man! Just found out some more info, I need a windshield

Windshields: Exception
    26700. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), a passenger vehicle, other than a motorcycle, and every bus, motortruck or truck tractor, and every firetruck, fire engine or other fire apparatus, whether publicly or privately owned, shall be equipped with an adequate windshield.

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

To avoid the fees just have your Mom go with you. I did this when I was sixteen to register a Greenbrier that I'd been workin on for a while and that hadn't been registered for four years.

When the DMV lady to Mom that she would have to pay something like four hundred some odd dollars in fines, she went flippin ballistic.:eek1: Mom started yelling at the DMV lady about how much work I'd done to the van and that it had been sitting in our driveway for the whole time and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't remember. What I do remember is that she only paid 40 bucks to register that 1963 Corvair Greenbrier.

I was so proud.

I also remembered to never really piss her off after that.:haha:

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I guess we are lucky up here, no such thing as non-op fees up here

12. Desert Rat

You were lucky, anybody yells in the DMV here and the security guards come over and kick them out. Then a nice little annotation goes in your file that you are a problem child and life is miserable for you for a long time.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

take it to a DMV out in the sticks, they usually wont check for stuff like that, the lady that looked at my truck(it was an out of state purchase, requiring a vin check) just looked at the door vin and just asked me if everything worked, that was all there was to it, in and out in 20 min.
    i love the placerville DMV they rock, i go there for all my shady stuff

14. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've been out of California for a couple years now, but you'll probably have to be careful about who sees the engine.

While a 73 is exempt from the mandatory every 2 year inspection, it is still required to meet all the emissions, and you could run into trouble if someone realizes that the Monster Caddy motor wasn't OEM in a '73 Jimmy........ or if any of the aftermaket goodies aren't CARB approved.:D

I know we've beaten this to death in other threads, but just be aware that you are only exempt of the 2 year checks, you still "techincally" need to meet all smog requirements for the vehicle at all times......

Just like my '74 did with that 383 in Mountain View.....:whistle:

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

16. Desert Rat

BigBen is right on the money. Some enterprising CHP in Ca. can still look over your smog exempt rig and decide to send you to the referee to see if you are in compliance with the requirements of that year's vehicle smog laws even though you don't have to have it inspected every 2 years. By the way, did your 73 come with a 350 originally? I have a 76 that came with a 400 and now has a 350. I thought I was screwed for engine upgrades but now I think I could slip in a 383 since it still is smaller than a 400 as long as I put all the smog goodies back on.

17. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yes it came with a 350. so i should play dumb and say its 350 then? And say all the smog stuff is on it? Where can i find information about the numbers stamped into my frame, i know where they are, but i need to tell the people at the DMV that they are what they need and not the VIN number on the frame

18. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

I have a buddy at my dealership that is a "VIN verifier". He has to check out every used car that comes in without a title for the DMV.
    If need, I can ask him for a favor.

19. Desert Rat

The DMV knows what the numbers on the frame are. They simply show whether or not the frame is of the proper year that the VIN says the vehicle is. If you have to bring it in, they will simply look at the frame and make sure the numbers jive with the VIN. On the engine, unless it is obvious that the engine isn't a 350, then I wouldn't mention it. The only way a red flag is going to go up on the engine is if it has a big block and the inspector does a visual and recognizes it. Even if you have a big block, as long as you have whatever equipment came on a big block that year, it may not be an issue.

20. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

its a 500 caddy with the dist on the front! but last time it was a 20something girl who knew nothing, so i'll try to get her again!