Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need power tailgate help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Intense Blue, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Intense Blue

Intense Blue Registered Member

i installed a new tailgate and switched over all the hardware, installed new inner and outer seals and the window seems to be very tight going up and the window motor acts like it doesnt have enough power to push the window up, you have to help it up by hand. It comes down fast but going up is very slow. I dont see anything that would be rubbing against the glass to restrict it from going up easy. Would a new window motor cure this? I want this feature to work and i want it to go up and down with ease. I'm just wondering if any of you might have experience this problem and maybe have a trick to fix it..thanks

2. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

yup i know that problem, its more then likely a worn motor!!! thats what happened to mine after i did all the tail gate changing out :) seems okay going down cuz of the weight of the glass in it, but up seems like it would take a eternity to get there!!! have a better chance if ya went to junk yard and got another motor, thats what i did, and she glides like no other now :)

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Did you replace the rubber in the sash? If any of the rubber that holds the window in the sash extends past the ends of the sash it keep the window from going up properly.

Derf00
    1990 K5 Jimmy 350 Edelbrock Performer TBI, 6in BDS Lift, Dana 60, 4.56, Corp 14B Detriot, 16x10 AE 589's, 37x12.5 SSR

4. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

If you take the window apart, be very careful if you take out the transmission piece. Mine went out, I unbolted the window from the two lifting arms to gain access to it. So the arms were still down, meanwhile I undid the cable and the screws from the transmission. I did not realize that their is a big a$$ spring on the arms. I pushed the trans out with my finger and the arm tried to chop my finger off. Cut it down to the bone and had to have seven stitches put it.

Just thought I would warn anybody about that happening.

Shoeless
    '88 K5

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd take the cover off and just take a look at the innards. Also watch how it goes up into the top, see if its rubbing hard there. Grease the "rollers" for the scissor mechanism, as well as the "teeth". Take the cable out, lube it too. ("I'd prolly use white lithium grease there) All of that is pretty much free to do, whereas getting a "good" motor can be problematic if you don't just buy a new one. Mine was slow as molasses, but once I cleaned up all I just mentioned, it sped up considerably.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. EZdoesit

EZdoesit Registered Member

when I did the window motor on my friends bronco I used a jump starter to put power directly to the window motor so it rolled the window out of the way and then I could remove the motor without it trying to keep any of my fingers. The same thing should work for a blazer

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Or you can just disconnect the cable from the output of the motor and put the end of it in your drill chuck. Then you can roll the window up and down with a drill.

I would make sure that it is all assembled so that the big assist spring is always in tension throughout the range of the window's motion. When it's all assembled right it should go the same speed up and down or a little bit faster going up. Also look to make sure that the window guide rails inside the tailgate still have plenty of felt left in them.

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>

8. Intense Blue

thanks for your help....i priced a new motor in LMC...the other thing i forgot to mention was that when powering the window up and it's going up very slow and tough the motor stops and it wont go up or down,( just completely shuts off } it acts like theres a cut off power switch and you have to wait about 30 seconds and then it will move again. and it will repeat this 3-4 times untill you have to help feed it up by hand....any help on that????

9. Intense Blue

is the window regulator probably bad or the regulator trannsmission?

10. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

It would have been nice to rig the motor for it to go up, but the transmission itself was jammed up somehow.

Shoeless
    '88 K5

11. ecreipevad

ecreipevad Registered Member

In October I replaced the lift motor and the cable assy on my '83 and my window goes down fairly quick but goes up very slow. I got the motor new at Autozone(about $60.00) and the cable assy from the chevy dealer(about $30.00). Also I would recommend changing the motor now before it quits on you for good, in the down position and it's raining or snowing. I think I'll try the lube all the innards suggestions by dyeager535 that sounds like a good idea.

Chrome Won't Get You Home!!!!