Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need quick brake help! (about to leave for pick your part)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I think that my M/C has gone in my truck first I would like to confirm that this is the problem.
    I started to find that every once in a while the pedal would sink to the floor b4 I'd stop. It has steadily gotten worse since then and now even after I pump the pedal to restore pressure if I hold the pedal down it will gradually lose pressure until the pedal hits the floor.
    Is this the M/C?
    If so do I just replace it with another one? Or is there an upgrade I can replace it with? And is this a part that I should replace with a new part only or is used fine?

I need to make sure that this is all I need to pick up as the pick a part is over an hour from my house.
    Thanks in advance. ~Max

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Mine is having the same problem, but I was thinking it was the brake booster since your losing pressure (vacuum loose). If someone has a better answer, please chime in, i'm tired of driving my burb with sketchy brakes /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes it sounds like the m/c is going bad they are cheap replace it and bleed the brakes good and then you should be good to go also check to make sure you have a good vacuum line going to the booster and that its got a good seal and isn't leaking vacuum at the fittings

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    And is this a part that I should replace with a new part only or is used fine?

[/ QUOTE ]
    NEVER use used parts when doing work on brakes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

when a vacuum booster goes bad it is hard to press on the brakes but they will not go to the floor, sounds like your problem is a bad master cylinder or leaky wheel cylinders leaking all your brake fluid out if your fluid is not low it is your master cylinder. Always buy brand new parts for brakes, they are cheap when it comes to hospital/funeral bills... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

About the only thing i'd use used, in brake parts, are drums, rotors & calipers. And these can be bought new, and cheap at most auto parts stores.

7. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Thanks fo rthe help guys just went and got a new M/C. Just gotta put it in now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif