Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need quick dash help please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Jul 27, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be removing my dashpad in a couple of hours to paint it, but it has a few small cracks in one area...the rest of the dash is fine. I was wondering how I could repair those cracks before I paint it. I was thinking of something like using silicone sealant and a putty knife and just filling them up that way and then painting over it. Any other ideas?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If your cracks are small, you could probably use a repair kit. It comes with different colors of some kind of silicone (I think). You mix them to match your dash color and then apply it and cure it with heat (from an iron or somethink like that).

I tried that on my old dash, but the cracks were too big and didn't work.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Paint won't stick to silicone sealants. [​IMG]

Be really careful removing that dash pad. I just took the dash apart on an '88 Blazer that a friend is parting out and the dash pad literally crumbled as I took it off. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Not sure if it's actually silicone in that kit, but since you can mix it up to match the color of your dash, it wont matter.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

one word BONDO

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How about two words: Custom Dash

I not you can try those repair kits. The one thing that I have found is that if one portion of the dash is brittle enough to crack, other areas are not far behind. GM still sells dashpads, or you can by the covers that you glue/silicone into place.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

7. rts

rts Registered Member

I need to replace my dash pad this weekend. I picked up a new one from the Chevy house. ($115)
    Any tricks that I should know? it looks like it should come right out. Also, have you ever had one painted? Any tips there?

Thanks

8. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I've seen paint that is designed to go over vinyl interior parts, but I've also seen it applied &amp; IMHO it looked like crap.

However, that may have been the fault of the person applying it.

John