Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need quick help re: 3/4 ton 14 bolt....already searched but in hurry

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, May 16, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

ok, i am back from driving all over town looking at 14 bolt rear ends from what the salvage yard claims are mid 70's 20 series 3/4 ton trucks. I found one 3/4 ton, but the shock mounts are on the opposite side of my current setup(12 bolt). I thought that 3/4 tons are on the same side? Also, is the spring perch gap between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton several inches difference(more that 1-2")?

Please help...rented a van to haul what I thought was a find, but the first p.o.s. that i saw was a mess and had shock mounts on both sides....

need some guidance from the "been through it" experts!

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

On my 3/4 ton 14b the shock mount on the pass side is on the front of the housing. It's out of a 78 Sub. As far as the perches go if they are in the wrong spot it may be a 1 ton axle.

-Brian

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

1/2 ton an 3/4 ton have the same perch mount locations. 4wd or 2wd.

1/2 ton an 1 ton do not. (unless you are running a first gen K5)

If you pick up a 1 ton axle you will need to move the perches

I don't know about your shock differences though. But shock mounts can be changed easier then spring perches.

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

ok, i think both of the yards i went to were trying to sell me one tons as "3/4 tons". One guy was arguing with me and insisted that "ALL 14 bolts are the same, period and spring perchese are all the same".I advised him that they were not and he said "...its right here in my computer". #$%^&

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Hey is full of sh*t. He doesn't know what he is talking about and his computer is wrong. If you don't have the perch to perch measurement get it off your half ton axle. Measure middle of perch to middle of perch. Then when you find some 14bff's you measure the mid to mid perch and as long as they are within about 1/2" or so I think you should be fine.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Half-ton and 3/4 ton spring perch measurement is 42 1/2" center to center. That same measurement is 40 1/2" for the 1 ton 14 bolts.