Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Quick Response

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NE79, Jul 19, 2001.

1. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

Got into a "discussion" today about 4x4's and the topic somehow came to solid axle vs. IFS. I know that solid is the way to go, but i need some good info. to get my point across. His argument was that they use IFS on the baja trucks and they take a good pounding. Thank you all.

uh-oh

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

The IFS on baja trucks are custom made first of all. Second most of them aren't four wheel dirve. IFS from the factory is weaker, harder and more expesive to modifty/lift, has more u-joints or CV shafts, limits travel, has more bushings, just a whole bunch of extra crap. It was designed to give a better ride on the road. I'm sure more people will comment. Later - Doug

Doug Krebs

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Tell him that if all IFS trucks came from the factory with super long A arms with 17" of vertical travel, a tubular chassis and Bilstein shocks then maybe IFS might be better, but as long as they come with wimpy A arms and 2.13434343" of wheel travel a solid axle will always win.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Tell him that if all IFS trucks came from the factory with super long A arms with 17" of vertical travel, a tubular chassis and Bilstein shocks then maybe IFS might be better, but as long as they come with wimpy A arms and 2.13434343" of wheel travel a solid axle will always win. Then if he is still not convinced then you will just have to get out the tow strap and hook them bumper to bumper and show him :-)

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

5. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Well my truck is proof. Didn't you know that IFS stands for Inferior Front Suspension? I converted my '95 Z71 to a Solid Front Axle. I had a 6" IFS lift before and I had to replace parts every other day on it. The SFA is much simpler and stronger. There's less to go wrong. IMO the only way to lift an IFS truck is SFA.[​IMG] Most Baja trucks I see have Twin I Beam suspension or whatever you call it not IFS. Maybe you could call that IFS. I don't know. SFA all the way!!!

Chad

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

another thing you might want to mention is not only the limited travel, but when the tire on one side goes up it puts pressure on the other side so you get a better grip.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

maby it has to do with that paticular "ifs" is on HALF MILLION dollar trucks, but thats just my guess---

8. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Just open up any magazine... how many IFS trucks do you actually see on the trails. By trails I don't mean flexing on a curb at the mall. I'd like to see one of those baja trucks climb Potato Salad Hill at Moab. IFS is cool for PreRunners and the street, solid axles are for the real trails. You can't compare the two. Just my $.02.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Beacuse I'm a chick,,,,, I can ask this and get away with it, exactly what is an IFS? is that short for Independent front suspension? go ahead and laugh I can hear you all now!

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes it is. IFS is independant front suspension.

IFS SUCKS. I knew this before I bought my truck, so I didn't get an IFS truck. Now, I have to pull home all the IFS trucks that follow me because they snap CV joints.

My usual explanation is: Axle U-joints are cheap. I've never broken one, but they're $9 at Autozone. CV joints are expensive. Nearly everyone that follows me with and IFS vehicle trys to show off and destroys them. They range from $200-$500 in price.

BTW, IFS lacks suspnsion travel, simplicity, parts availablity, strength to take a beating or to use a bigger tire, etc. It takes a lot of knowledge to put it back together (i know I could learn but I won't until I have to put someone else's back together) and, in a less technical sense, WHAT PROVES YOU GOT 4WD MORE THAN AN AXLE HANGING FROM LEAF SPRINGS UNDER THE FRONT OF YOUR TRUCK STARING SOMEONE DOWN IN THEIR REARVIEW MIRROR?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

EDIT: Twin I-beam is IFS. Any time the wheels in front can move independantly, it's IFS, whether it has coils, torsion bars, i beams, control arms, whatever.

11. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

Thank you everyone for the info. Had the extreme upper hand in the discussion today. "Yeah, but they ride better and they're on hummers." &lt;--best response
    Thanks again

uh-oh

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hummers ramp like @#$#@. I think the last time I saw the RTI of a Hummer/HMMWV it was somewhere in the 350 zone. What's a decent K5 ramp that isn't built just for flex? 500+?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles