Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need quieter mufflers, suggestions???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jun 17, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

OK, I got flowmaster 40 series true dual exhaust with hooker headers. The thing sounds incredible, but I got 2 autistic kids, and sometimes they can be sound sensitive to certain things.

Lately everytime my son is in the truck with me he covers his ears, and the reason I got a blazer in the first place is because we 4-wheel as a family.

sorry, but my 40 series have got to go.

I'm running 2 1/2 pipes, and I'm looking for something that will still give me the performance, but will drop the sound level as much as possible.

Open to suggestions. Currently considering Dynomax.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I've owned some thrush's and Dyno max's .. I really liked the sound of the dynomax's.. not to loud.. not to quiet.. seemed just right..
    I currently have flowmasters on mine also.. i'm considering getting rid of them for something more quiet also..

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</A>

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I run Dynomax's with headers and 2 1/2" pipes...I think it's about right....just enough attitude, and quiet enough to live with on long trips...they cruise quiet, and sound off when ya romp it....a crossover pipe would mellow them out even more....JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

right now i am running one of those j.c. whitney turbo mufflers part #-81BS7755U. i still have the factory single exhaust with 3" from the cat back, and before this, i had the factory muffler replaced with a straight pipe, so my engine was only muffled by the cat. sounded real good--nice and deep, but got sick of it at road speeds. this muffler is all welded, and sounds nice and quiet. the guys at the muffler shop were impressed with its construction.

AIRBORNE!!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jeff, if I remember you also have the 'boom tube' exhaust tips right? I also run 2 1/2" duals withe the 40 series Flow masters. I have no large tips and I find its quieter than I expected it to be.

You can mellow out your system, lose the big tips, and run a cross-over pipe. My old 50 series Flowmasters with the same size exhaust tubing were louder than the system I have now, but I had 3 1/2" boom tube tips on that system.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

If you like the Flowmasters, you may want to check out their Series 70 "Big Block" muffler. It's a bit larger than the Series 40, but MUCH quieter. Otherwise, I've found the Dynomax mufflers to be very quiet, and non-restrictive as well.

tRustyK5 also has a very good point with the larger exhaust tips. I had this problem on a small-block Camaro, once. Looked great but worked just like a megaphone...

502Burban

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I used to have a Jeep with a reallll strong 401. I put glasspacks on it and just about went deaf. So I decided on some 3 chamber Flowmasters. It was a perfect mix I thought. Still had the hollow rumble of the 2 chamber Flows, but much quieter at idle and under acceleration. I have the 2 chamber ones on my K5 now and I like them, but will be the first to admit they are pretty loud. You might want to try the 3 chamber ones.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. solowookie

well it looks like the first thing to go will be the boom-tubs... I'm also getting the interior rhino-lined, but man it really makes me sad to see how my son reacts.

Now it looks like I got several options so I'm gonna have to decide what I want to do. I'll have to look at the different prices of the different options too...

9. tRustyK5

I don't know if this helps but my kids and the neighbor kids all used to hold their ears when I'd start my truck...the neighbor kid would actually cry [​IMG]. They all did just get used to it and now my truck draws a 'mini-crowd'...[​IMG]
    Your kids may just get accustomed to the exhaust tone...mine did.

If not then losing the boom tubes will help, personally i'm going to add some because I find my Jimmy is a litle quiet for my liking right now[​IMG] Wanna sell yers?

A cross over pipe will also help. Tailpipe exit location also factors in, mine exit at the rear most part of the truck and they are slightly angled downward towards the ground.

I'd start with those two mods to your exhaust and only get rid of the Flows as a last resort.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have headers, 12" long glasspacks, 2.25" pipe, and side exits. Mine ROARS, and I love it. If my kid complained about the sound of a V8, me and that kid would have a serious clash.

You have many options for mufflers. If you don't want it to be loud anymore, you can run whatever mufflers you want.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. solowookie

well my kids are both autistic, and they are FAR from normal kids. It really isn't like a normal child just not liking the sound.

If I take him up in the mountains for 40 minues he'll keep his ears covered the whole time. I've had the exhaust system for almost 3 months now, and he is just starting to have problems. He is also having noise problems in other area's as well. With him being autistic he's got enough other problems with life I'm not about to contribute to them.

12. solowookie

you know I never thought about where the exhaust exits as being a problem, but I might have to look into that. Mine exits right behind the rear tires. I'm not sure if my pipes are long enough to exit completely out the side if I take off the boom tubes. I think I measured it and I would need 18" long tips. I need to call summit tomorrow and get some tips ordered.

13. tRustyK5

If the tips exit past the edge of the body you should get less resonance. Mine really isn't too loud...even on the long trip to Texas I didn't find it annoying at all. In fact with this system I can hear my stereo at 70 MPH.

Keep the tip diameter the same as the pipes and make sure they exit past the underside of the truck and that should quiet things down.

Rene