Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need rear end input

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Sep 10, 2001.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Allright, I've got a few options on what I do about my rear end...
    I can get a 10 bolt with 3.73's out of an '83 2WD Suburban for $100, but its 28 spline, 5 bolt, and a 10 bolt

Or a 12 bolt with 4.11's with 6 bolts, but the guy got the 10 bolt mentioned above to replace it, so it may be bad, plus I need to weld the perches and shock mounts on, because its in like a '63 PU right now...can get it for $100 too.

I can also buy a 14SF at a junkyard for around $200, and probably have to spend another $200 on axleshafts, and a little more on drums

Anything I get is going to need brake work, which I'm not too good at, so thats more money I need to spend.

Obviously, the 14SF would be the best, but I don't have much money, and dont want to spend all of what I have on my truck. I really don't want either the 10 or 12 bolt, but getting a rear end at a junkyard is kinda risky too.

I know everyone is going to tell me to get a 14botl FF, but I'm not going to to that, I'll definatly have to get new rms for that, and thats just not what I want to do. There is no chance of this truck ever having tires larger than 33's on it as long as I own it, so I don't really need a 14bolt FF.

I need to make this decision fast, I really hate getting rides, and I'm not going to get to drive my brother's car forever....

90K5

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, I guess I could rebuild my 10 bolt, but thats a lose.lose situation, becasue it will cost a lot, and its still a 10 bolt

BTW, Whatever I do, I'm going to have to regear the front to match the rear, so more $$$$$$$

90K5

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd go scrounge the boneyards for a 12 bolt or 14 SF geared the same as your front. You're pretty likely to find a good one. As far as brakes go - just post with any questions you have/help you need. Brakes are cake after a while - what better way to get comfortable with them?

Clean up on aisle 3!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I really want to change from 3.42's to 3.73s or 4.11's though, I have 33's on it now and could use a little extra acceleration, and longer tranny life.

90K5

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

In that case - I'd start prowling for a 3.73 or 4.10 D44/12 Bolt set - that way you only would have to deal with the costs of the axles.

Clean up on aisle 3!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

That's a fairly brave title to a forum!!!

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I was waiting to see who'd go first.[​IMG][​IMG]Rear end input!!!!![​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

8. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I wouldn't go around telling people I need rear-end input. But wait a minute, he made us look! D'OH!!!!!

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, funny. Anyone have suggestions on what I should do? I'm thinking I might replace the bearings if the gears and everything look OK.

90K5

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Just got to thinking, its definatly going to be more than $100 to have a shop do the bearings, so I think I'll buy that 12 bolt with 4.11's and weld the perches and shock mounts on...

90K5

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohhh didn\'t know this was a kinky forum

Sorry had to be done.
    Uhhhhh 12 bolt for sure. Forget the 10bolt all together.
    63 12 bolt is a little scary sounding. If it's been sitting for 20 years in may be full of rust and need new gears and bearings. I would be sure to open it before laying the cash down and check the condition of gears. The rest is easy to take care of and brakes are cheap to rebuild. The Zone sell drums cheap, Wheel cylinders are $10-15 each.
    The 10 bolt is a no brainer. Slide the shafts from your current 10 bolt in and ta DA it's a 6 lug BUT it being a 2wd the shock mounts and spring purch angle may not be right either. But it's a time bomb and may blow again so I would stay away from it.
    342 was not a gear you will find in a 12 bolt unless somebody swapped them in.
    From your choices ALL may need the purches rewelded and shock mounts re welded.
    I'd say a 12 bolt rear and regear the front later when funds are available. With as many people on the board swapping in 3/4 ton running gear a good 12 bolt with 3.73 is going to show up that won't require mods to work. 4.11 is a little more rare but I would say it would be the better gear for the 33's and overdrive.
    The SF 14 if a 6 lug is not a bad deal at $200 but with 33's if you decide to wheel it that big pig would be a boat anchor on every rock. Does leave you open for bigger tires in the future. But it sounds like it's missing parts and could well find it full of rust and eat up a lot of cash quick.
    From the choice you listed I would think the 12 bolt is the ticket. Has the gears you want and will be the cheapest to to rebuild the brakes. Just a question of it's age. May be nothing wrong with it but you may pull it open and find pitted and damaged gears and bearings.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Ohhh didn\'t know this was a kinky forum

I doubt its the original 12 bolt, its got 6 lugs, and the front has 5 on that truck. The trcu kis driving right now, but the guy has built up a Ford 9" for it, and he's going to put it in there. It shouldn't be full of rust since its being driven, so I think I'm gonna go for it. Even if it ends up needing work, it'll still be cheaper than regearing my 10 bolt myself, which I can't even do. If it does need bearings or anything, that and brakes are the only things I'll have to put in it...hopefully

90K5

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It may be the original. That truck would have come with 6 lug drums on the front. Truck was proably a 252 6 cyl originaly. He's converted to disc brake fronts. I'm in the middle of the same conversion on my 70 Burb. Keep the 12 bolt rear. You do need to measure the width. In the 60's I hear that they may have run a bit more narrow than after 70. If it's the right width and drivable it should be in good shape and usable. $100 is a good price since it has the 4.11's.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

14. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ the go find a matching set or a good 12B/whatever front w/ the 3.73's or 4.10's. Otherwise I would go w/ the 14sf... cripes 200 is cheap! Heck I should have you buy it and ship it to me for that price. I really wish I could find a deal like that here.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>