Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED REAR SIDE PANEL HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by newboy89, Aug 2, 2002.

1. newboy89

newboy89 Registered Member

Ok , today i finally got around to buying the wood to make my rear side panels. i got some regular old 5/8 inch ply wood. cause i figured it would be good and strong to mount my speakers and whatever into. how ever when i cut everything up and put it in the truck the tailgate dosent clear... what kind of material would you guys recoment for fabbing up some custom one piece carpet covered side panels?
    in a bind here i have the truck all taken apart in the front yard and need it back soon. thanks alot for the imput i appreciate it.

2. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

i am considering make new side panels my self if i decide to do it i will make the pattern out of cardboard (not very thick) and then cover it in fiberglasss fiberglass is so much better to work with than wood and you could custom make it so many different ways you could have many designs with it could even make the sidepanels into subwoofer enclosures or incorporate some plexiglass in with the fiberglass and it'd be a cool setup for some neons just my opinon

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Couldn't you just bevel the edge that's hitting the tailgate?

Admittedly, I'm having a little trouble visualizing what you are describing, but there should be a way to rework what you've already done.....

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i made custom wood side panels for my 85. Only had them go halfway back, cause I wanted a lil more room out back. At any rate, I used 3/8" ply that I water treated the shiznit out of... then covered with black vinyl. pics are in my webshots albums, they work/look pudy good.

J

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

yeah, can you not use a router and bevel the edges to make it thinner back there??? that might even make it look better?

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

When I made my panels I used 5/8 MDF, it is easier to work with than plywood. In the tailgate area I stopped the panel short of where the stock ones went to and used a router to bevel the edges to clear the tailgate, it takes a good bit of cutting and filing to get everything to clear. When I carpeted the panels I left the rear piece long and extended it all the way to the vertical colum that the latches attached to.