Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need rear spring flex ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, Sep 29, 2001.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I just got done testing the flex on my blazer and the rear sucks big time! Stock, the blazer could get the tires 24 inches off the ground. Now, it's 21. The front however is flexing awsome! I don't have the sway bar on and I don't have the relocated shock mounts on, but the shocks weren't at their limits though so it's the springs. The rear has blocks and a soft ride helper spring. If I take that helper spring out, then the rear will sag. So what do I do? Do I need to get new stock springs for the rear? I'm gonna do a shackle flip in the future so I don't want lift springs in the rear. Any ideas?

<font color=blue>Women should put pictures of missing men on beer cans...</font color=blue>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Well, if you are going to a shackle flip, you'll probably want new stock height springs anyhow, so I'd say ditch the helper and go to new springs with the flip. Or you could go to a 4-link with a floating housing[​IMG]

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Well the first thing that you could do is put the front sway bar back on and now you l will have more flex in the rear but less in the front. Basically what you did is make the front end work hard and the rearend work less. Now you have a more balanced rig. I would say just leave it and try it out on the trail the way it is with the sway bar disconnected.

Donovan
    Nitro Fumes makes me Horrrrny

4. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

well if you do the shackle flip to prolly make it more flexy just get a old pair from the junkyard and dont buy new ones. Or get some longer custom springs put in.

350, sm465, NP205, 14ff w/detroit, yucky ten bolt 4" springs,38.5x14.5 swampers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.planettribes.com/theden/gontw/nsig.jpg>http://www.planettribes.com/theden/gontw/nsig.jpg</a>

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I did a Marv Springer shackle flip on mine.Alot more flex and a whole lot less work.It also rides way better with the long springs that are used with the flip.I ramped a 900 frontwards and an 1117 backwards today.Heres a pic of my flex www.springersuspensions.com

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What about the springs from the newer 1/2 tons, they seem to be popular on this board. Steven?

I suggest that you just lose your block and get the shackle flip for now. When (not if, when) you decide you're going to lift it more, then you can buy springs.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Usually the rear shocks do limit travel. Did you remove the boots and see if they are fully compressing? I ramped my truck with a forklift with the shocks connected and disconnected to get a more accurate reflection of what was happeneing under flex. I got way more travel with the shocks not connected. Then I relocated the shocks...[​IMG]
    My rear springs are from an 88 Blazer too, they are a litle flexier than the older stock springs. They also have little teflon pads riveted on each leaf that helps a bit.

With stiff Rancho's up front and my front shocks still limiting flex I can get over 35" under the tire.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I would put 63" springs on the back. You will be much happier. Talk to Twiztid he has done the 63" on the back of his Blazer. That is what I am going to do.

Donovan
    Nitro Fumes makes me Horrrrny

9. tRustyK5

I'm more than happy with my rear flex right now. I may add some 52's up front though. The brick stiff Rancho's gotta go.

Rene

10. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

they make the revolver for the blazer now, that could help

phill

11. tRustyK5

Shawn Spickler had the revolvers on his Blazer...I think he disliked the on-road manners and removed them.

Rene

12. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i second the springer setup---works awesome

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

13. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

You could remove or flip the over load spring over!!...I just removed two leaves from the front 6" pack and built 1" longer front shackles...Now I'm in the process of removing some of the rear..i'm going to have the over load cut down to the same length as the spring pad ..so it will kinda be like a add-a-leaf...The blazer flexing better than ever.....just a thought!!!!!

76 Blazer roller-rockered 9" lift locked 3/4 ton axles 37" Boggers custom oxidized paint with rust accents!!!.Dont follow me...YOU WONT MAKE IT!!!!

14. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever moved the springs closer? Just under the framerails for example?

1981 K20 350/400/208/205 D60fARB & 14bFFDETROIT 4.10 (UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!)

15. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I know this seems to be an old post, but here I go. Nobody has mentioned this yet, and it works! I have the superlift 4" rear springs with a stock shackle flip (hole cut in bracket). These springs came with clamps and bolts to keep the spring packs together. I would suggest, depending on how much highway travel you do, remove the rear bolt on the spring pack clamp. This will allow the spring to fan out and separate. You do take a chance at breaking a main leaf, but I have never had any problems, nor has Bigdaddyof2. In fact, I may do it to my front springs as well. Next, buy a set of greasable bushings from ORD - they work. You should think about removing those blocks, they are causing axlewrap - definately remove them before you do the clamp removal. If I were you, I would find a good set of 89-91 Blazer springs, cut the rear clamp off, remove the helper spring and cut it down reletavely the same length of your spring perch, then bolt it back into the spring pack. If these springs are worn, replace the teflon pads, any spring shop will have them. You might want to replace the centering pin which holds the whole pack together at this time too. You should also consider doing a shackle flip. If you do the rear shackle flip by cutting the rear hanger, you will not get a full 4" of lift. I installed 6" springs up front and 4" rear springs, plus the shackle flip and it sits level. Basically, I think it only gives you roughly 2.5" of lift. Once you have these mods, you will find out your rear shocks are probably limiting. Flex your truck completely - without any shocks mounted. Measure from your lower shock mounts to the frame mounts and call someone like Rancho to find appropriate shock. I have 5012s in the rear on the stock mounts and get plenty of up travel and unlimited down travel. If you choose to use 5012s, you may have problems on compression, make sure you dont bottom out the shocks! Hope this helps.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

16. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Well I following Grim's advice a year or so ago. I run 4" Tough Country EZ rides up front with ORD's Longer Stronger Shackle. For the rear I run 86K5 springs that are flexier than all hell. They have the teflon padding and tapered edges. Not to mention the spring rate on these babies is much lower. I first installed this suspension and went wheeling to find a much nicer ride. More flex than my shocks could handle. So I then fab'd up my own rear shock mount crossmember like Depdog has. I run 5012's in the rear and I used some Ford Shock towers (slightly modified) on the front with 5012's. No more limiting factors except for the brakelines to which I have some ProComp Exteneded Lines on now. I love the flex, I love the ride and I couldnt be happier.

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have had my spring clamps in the rear removed for about two years and I opened up the clamps on the front Superlift springs also. It does help espcially in the rear... I have no clamps on the rear springs.

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

18. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

A question to all of you. What does really flexy gain you?

I'm running 6" National springs on all 4 corners and have never run into a situation where I needed more flex. I did every obstacle at the Midwest Summer K5 Bash at Disney, Ok that everyone else did. I made obstacles that most of the people didn't even try or couldn't make. Some of those vehicle were "WAY" more flexy than mine.

Why does everyone have this hang up that they need to be way "FLEXY"?

I can see if you are doing Rock Crawling championships, but for the average Joe, like probably 99% of the people on this site (including me), you don't need it.

1986 K10 TPI350/NV4500/Gen2 Doubler/D60(ARB)/14FF(Detroit)/4.56 gears