Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Reasons To Join A Club

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by Polaris, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I am putting together a list of why someone should join a 4x4 club, to bring to our meeting tomorrow night. We are just starting up here and have some guys wondering why they should bother joining if they can go ride "for free" anytime they want. Here is what I've got so far:
    Top 10 Reasons to Join a 4 Wheel Drive Club

1. Meeting others with the same interests
    2. Learning new trails
    3. Having help in times of trouble (vehicle breakage, being stuck) on
    the trail,
    4. Discounts with various parts suppliers
    5. A strong voice in times of trail closures and other 4x4 related issues

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Cool stickers /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously though the only other one I could think of would be club presence at events like parades, shows, charitable events.

3. Panther212

Panther212 Registered Member

Helping each other out with projects for your truck... ie someone who knows how to do something that you don't helps you in person...

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I printed off what I had and brought it along last night. The meeting went well. We got through our first major disagreement with a compromise that we are all happy with /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Woohoo!

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Great!!

Did most of the "club-doubters" show up and stick around?

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Actually it was just the core group last week. I think the others were scared away the week before by the rules of having a street legal truck and insurance, and the fee of $100 per vehicle the first year /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I had a problem with that too so I got prices and itemized, and it will only be $30. We'll give them all a call when we have our act together. LOL. I printed off the reasons to join though and one guy in particular who is our next-door neighbor will have to look at it. He's the biggest pessimist it seems.

Thanks!

7. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

Polaris
    I am very curious....Got an update for us? How's it going? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Polaris
    I am very curious....Got an update for us? How's it going? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi! We are incorporated now as Northern Wisconsin 4 Wheel Drive Club, Inc. We regularly have about 15 people at each meeting. The challenges now are keeping a sense of why we are doing this (not for me, I know darn good why!) and we have a group of young guys who just like to go rip up the trails. Also they have not paid dues. At this point we will do our best to educate them, and we are working on opening good lines of communication with the forestry department and the DNR. So I guess it is going pretty good overall! Thanks for asking!

9. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

It's great to hear that great report! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Polarsis....

Just as a suggestion, Maybe you could try what our 4x4 club has done. We have a message board for our club. Anyone can join the message board with limited access to certain forums. However, inorder to be considered a part of the club, they attend 1 get together with the club. After that 1 get together, they either pay up or they can not attend as a member of our club. We have also set up a very strict set of guidelines that are only fair to the use of the land as well as a way to protect ourselves and our sport. Just a thought. If you want more info, PM me and I will hooke you up with the presidents email and he can answer questions you may have or even offer other suggestions.

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's great to hear that great report! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Judy, if you are interested in joining a local club check out www.Keystonekrawlers.com

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Hi! I just wanted to thank you for this. I've been sitting on this reply for a long time, sorry! I'm looking at a forum for the site when I get some free time. It seems like the most questionable/potentially destructive potential members have lost interest /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Oh how I wish all problems took care of themselves. I know that we'll still have to deal with a bit of an uphill battle as long as they are on the local trails, but it's a start anyway. Thanks again!

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Our club here does things in a certain way that seem to work quite well. Firstly club dues include membership with the 4WDABC (4 Wheel Drive Association of British Columbia). This gives our club inside info on what is going on as far as land use, and gives us a vote collectively under the 4WDABC 'umbrella'.

Secondly, there are trail etiquette guidelines that must be followed. Proper insurance, street legal, tread lightly, no alcohol...

Thirdly, there is a trial period. A potential member must attend 4 trail runs and 2 meetings before being voted in (or not) We really like to have a good feel for potential new members.

What we offer is a broad range of wheeling 12 months of the year, repair or 'build' days where the club shows up and everyone helps a few people out. We recently installed a motor in a Bronco for a member who's husband was too busy with work.

We also have events we either host or attend, the club is very active. We have an annual 'ramp day' as a fund raiser. One year we got permission to use a large vacant lot and we built an obstacle course...then had an open invite to come play.

We have also adopted a trail or two which we regularly run and maintain/upgrade as necessary. Last year we put up an outhouse and picnic tables plus a fire ring at the lake at the end of this trail.

Overall we try and provide a direct benefit to the community, use the trails responsibly, and lobby for access to other areas either currently closed or in danger of being closed. We have also worked with them on a key/gate program to help minimize vandalism. This has only had limited success but the effort is there.

Anyways, those are the reasons to be involved here, and how our club runs things.

Rene