Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need rebuild? Transmission issues...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mike's '84, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Mike's '84

Mike's '84 Registered Member

I was driving on a city street yesterday and the truck just lost drive. Coasted to a stop and heard a slight ringing sound:(. No reverse either.

I had to shift into four wheel low and use the front axle to get home. When I got to my driveway, I took it out of 4 low and it backed up almost normally in reverse. It made a few noises that I never her her make before...one sounded like dropping a wrench on a garage floor:confused:.

Anyone have that happen to them? Here's the kicker...we just a few days ago got back from Las Vegas...towed a 5,600 lb trailer 500 miles. Went over Halloran Summit (4700 ft) in second gear at 40 mph on the hardest pull...I was quite proud of her:waytogo: at the time. Went 1000 miles all total. Truck ran great. Glad it happened here at home...

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a xfer case or rear end issue to me. If your trans died it would not work in 4 low. Do you have a Gov lock in the back?

3. Mike's '84

I have a stock rear end...I would say no to the gov lock.

4. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Gov lock is a stock posi unit, if you still have the glovebox sticker I believe if you have g80 listed it has a gov lock.

5. Mike's '84

You nailed it Badk...sticker says 1G80 LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL. I was definitely ignorant about the Gov lock question:laugh:... a good reason to be here and learn.

Sounds like good news to me though...trannys cost mucho...

6. Mike's '84

Also...I drove the truck out to the street today, and into the neighbor's driveway. Backed up and put it back in my driveway.

I am baffeled...if the xfer case is bad or if the rear end is shot, I would not get any drive at all would I????

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You need to Pop the cover off the diff and have a look inside. Watch out for falling parts.:D
    Sounds to me like your Gov Bomb detonated.
    Sometimes a chunk of metal gets lodged in the right place and they can be driven slowly. But dont trust it until you have looked inside.
    The ringing sound you were hearing were parts breaking somewhere and Echoing in the driveline.

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

X2:crazy:

9. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Your welcome, glad I could help another out.:D

10. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

id have to agree with everyone here that the problem is in the rear axle. i had a similar problem where i was driving to work, and heard what were two loud bangs like a midget hitting the bottom of my truck with a hammer, and then it was just pissed off, all kinda of noise and the truck was jumping all over the place. pulled over, coasted to a stop, tried driving and it wouldnt move. put it in 4 wheel drive and drove it to a parking lot on the front axle, i couldnt figure out why it would drive in 4 wheel but not 2 wheel... then i got out and looked under the truck to see my rear driveshaft hanging down like a limp....... well yeah.... anyway, like all said, tranny or t-case wouldnt drive at all, so if you can drive around in 4 wheel, its the rear axle. dunno from experience but apparently they arent very strong, so its possible after the towing it just let go.

11. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Is this Calamco Mike?????

12. Mike's '84

That would be YES!! Would this be Chemical Transfer Chip????

13. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Nope, this is another (ex-)NH3 puller. Got an email address?

14. Mike's '84

Certainly...nh3gashauler@yahoo.com

15. Mike's '84

I have a cover to pull off and I'll see how bad the carnage is...I'll check back in later...

16. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I sent you an email. If the rearend is shot, email me back with what gear ratio you are running. I might have exactly what you need. :waytogo:

17. Mike's '84

Damn I had forgotten how good gear oil smells in the morning!!:D

Everything looks good to my un-trained eye. Nothing but smooth pretty polished surfaces where you would expect them to be. A little bit of dust around the magnet on the cover. Struck my fingers into the bottom of the case and got nothing.

I did however see a heat signature (bluing) around what looks like the pinion shaft where the inner gears are.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  18. Mike's '84

I couldn't get the little 5/16 bolt out...it's broken off inside, so I couldn't get the pin to drop to pull the axles.:mad:

As I said before all looks good from the cover side, but until I get the axles out I won't know what the rest of the unit is doing. That is what I'm hearing from my local differential shop. I am probably going to drop the whole rear end out and take it to him...about out of choices here I think...

I still don't see how this could be anything else that the rear end. This shop told me that for around $600 he could get me a replacement 3.08 ready to go...

19. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

there are several guys on here that would give you a 3.08 rear end. I'm sure its a fair price for his work but i wouldn't be spending that on any version of 10 bolt. Usually when gov-bomb's go bang there is plenty of carnage in the bottom of the case. I have seen a few that didn't look thrashed until they were apart but it is unusual. If you unhook your drive shaft and put your rear end up on stands you should be able to turn the pinion by hand and see/feel anything gone south in there.

20. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I think I can deliver you a good 3.08 rear end saturday night.

EDIT- Secured the 3.08 rear end, previous owner says it's in good shape and ready to bolt in. Email me your phone # or call me if you want it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007