Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need seats to mount in cage, suggestions? UPDATE with pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Anybody do the cage mounted seat thing? I am building my cage and want to put in some seats that will mount across two tubes running across the floor side to side. I have looked at Corbeau, Mastercraft, and am now looking at the Jegs site. They have some that are only $150 a piece, which seems cheap. I'm concerned that you get what you pay for on these though. I am also considering finding some Bronco seats used as well. Anybody else do anything like this? They must be a seat that reclines.

UPDATE: Made my decision. Went with some seats off of ebay. The store is K2 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAIR-UNIVERSAL-JDM-FULLY-RECLINABLE-RACING-SEATS-BK-BLU_W0QQitemZ300000481447QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33701QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) and they are more of a import street racer store but I figured I'd give them a shot. They are called a JDM seat on the site, but they came with a receipt calling them a Bride. The quality is what I expected for only $265 for the pair including shipping and tax. I am debating on throwing some saddleblanket covers on them right away to prolong their life but the colors match my truck and interior to a T. I have a feeling they won't last that long, but for the money they will work for a while. They are just wide enough for me but if I was any bigger, no way. They seem to keep you locked into the seat just test sitting them in the driveway. This is good, but sliding out of the rig will be different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Honda prelude seats. $5 each at pick in pull. Made some tabs that weld to the bars and they bolt in. Im even able to move them back and forth. :D
    Heres a pic. [​IMG]

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Bronco seats..... WTF?? :D

I posted my links in your last cage post - check there for Silverado seat pics.

4. Desert Rat

5. Desert Rat

I did check those pics out. Do you have any close up pics on how you mounted the seats? Also, did those manually recline or did I read correctly that they used to be power seats? Maybe some Silverado seats that weren't power would work?

6. 2Dogs

7. 2Dogs

No close ups - you can see in one of the posts (stripped interior version) the seat hoops and tabs for the seats. Just 4 simple tabs that use the stock sliders on the seats welded to 1.5" tube hoops.

8. Desert Rat

Thinking back to my Bronco, there were sliders, and the bottom part of the slider then had a bracket that elevated the seat above the floor. Did you have to cut anything off of the sliders to get it to sit at the right height?

9. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Check e-bay for reclinable racing seats - Claudia got a set (iBride - from what I hear, it's a very desirable brand among import racers??) including slider mounts for $250 including shipping (it's one of those weird deals - $150 for the seats, and $100 for shipping...). Can't rule out that they're actually knockoffs, but much better quality than the PRP seat she had ordered originally for her FJ40 (that thing was so lousy, we couldn't believe it - for $300/ea!). All fabric, no vinyl patches that can get hot in the desert and fry your skin. She likes hers a lot - no problems on cross-country trips and a bunch of trails.

10. Desert Rat

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you are shopping in the $150-per-seat price range, consider the Corbeau Baja SS. Most cozy chair of any kind that I have ever put my heiny in.

j

12. Desert Rat

Jekbrown, what part of "reclinable" did you miss? :rolleyes: :D

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'd rather have the best seat I can get that reclinability. To each their own I guess. Whats the point of a reclining seat again?

j

14. 2Dogs

No cutting of the seats or brackets. We used the cage to set the ride height.

15. Desert Rat

I have kids, need access to the back seat, and drive long distances sometimes to wheel. The passenger especially doesn't want to sit bolt upright for hours and hours at a time..... Otherwise I'd do a seat with a harness and run a tube across the back of the seats for the harness.

16. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

When building a cage why do you have to have bars along the floor?

17. Desert Rat

You don't have to. but, for better protection, you place the seats within a cage that surrounds you. There are several methods of doing cages. The ultimate is to tie it into the frame so that you are surrounded by a giant cage. Next best is to surround yourself inside of the rig with a cage. Last, but better than no cage, is a cage that is bolted or welded to the floor. This provides better safety, but the weak link is the floor.

18. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Come to think of it, PepBoys had some racing seats when we were looking for seats for Claudia's Cruiser; and here, some local race shops have some on sale every now and then. Might be worth a try, if only just to go there, sit in it, and measure everything on the darn thing. Then you've got a baseline in terms of measurements of what you want and don't want - how wide? how much thigh support? high enough so that the headrest actually provides protection and not a fulcrum to snap your neck? (the main problem with the Baja SS...), and you can compare dimensions with the stuff you find on the web.

19. 2Dogs

20. Desert Rat

Hmm, I did get a referral to Pacific before from somebody.