Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Shackle Flip/Pinon Angle HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by californiak5, Jan 18, 2001.

1. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

For those of you that have put in a ORD Shackle Flip. What degree shim did you have to use to get the pinon angle correct? My 12B looks like it is set up for a CV Driveshaft after installing the flip. Trouble is I don't have the money to get a new driveshaft so therefore I need to rotate the pumkin back down quite a bit and was just wondering what you guys did. Shim it or cut the spring perches and reweld them? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I did not use the ORD kit, but I did my own shackle flip and I can tell you that a 3 1/2 degree shim was not far enough and my T-case crossmember is already an inch below the frame. You are right, after doing a four inch flip, you are basically all set for a CV. This is not dependant on the method that you use for the flip, only the amount of lift that you use, assuming that you do not alter the springs. This is just simple geometry and I am surprised that the ORD site does not say more to address the problem.

The real solution is to determine your current angles so that you can get the right shim without having to use trial and error. I don't think that cutting the perches will really be necessary in this situation. Also, be careful to ensure that the spring pack center bolts still sit in the spring perch holes when using a shim.

<font color=blue>Powered by a Goodwrench 4-bolt longblock [​IMG]
    240hp...for now.</font color=blue>

3. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Come on guys. I know there are alot of you who have done the shackle flip. What did you guys do? If I measured correctly the angle that the pinion is sitting at is about 15 deg. up and the tranfer case is at about 3 deg. down. that leaves me with a 12 deg. difference. that seems like alot to shim down. I have a 1970 K5 and my transfer case crossmember has no spacers anywhere to use as lowering blocks so I don't know if I am S.O.L. there or not. Any help would be great.

See Ya

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

4. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Try posting this on the ORD question board,You'll find under the main forum menue.I need to find this out myself since I got one for Christmas.

Chuck
    81 Blazer
    <font color=blue>does anyone have another F#@d that I can park on?</font color=blue>[​IMG]
    <font color=red><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com</A></font color=red>