Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Shim Help ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Aug 28, 2003.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I want to get the driveline angle problem fixed, so I went and picked up some 6 degree shims to replace the 1.5 degree shims that aren't working. I am trying to put it in on one side and I notice that the center pin on the springs isn't long enough to go through the shim into the spring perch. So what do I do now /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I wanted to get this fixed today, now I don't know if that will happen. I also have zero rates installed back there, and am thinking the trick setup would be to get those tapered, but I need it done now and don't know of places that could do that. Also didn't want to have to take everything apart, its such a PITA /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TIA

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yep mine are bolted to the springs, id throw the old ones back in, and get the right center pins. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I wonder if something could be rigged using a bolt? Didn't want this to be a big ordeal, but it looks like thats what it is gonna take. All I know is I am tired of the vibration and don't want to drive it til its fixed.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The best route here would be to install tapered zero rates so they bolt to the pack and solve both needs, heck you could even get them offset too and gain a little wheelbase. If the shims are aluminum you may want to think twice about bolting them to the pack, aluminum shims tend to crack easy and even with the u-bolt in place, you could end up shearing a centering pin off when the slop develops. If its a steel shim, you could run a bolt through all of them and have a high degree of success for the short term.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt talk so high about steel, my steel ones broke, and i had to replace them with aluminum ones. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If your axle isn't relocated using the 0 rates, bolt the shim between the 0 rate and the leaf pack.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I guess if the mating surfaces were irregular, the aluminum one could squish like a gasket and conform to each surface before breaking like a steel one would... but you've got bigger problems in that case. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the advice.

The shims I got are aluminum, the steal ones were $30 and I don't have that much to spend on this right now, have to budget. I have had aluminum shims in there for 5 years and they are still in one piece, I don't drive the truck a lot.

I wouldn't want to bolt in an aluminum shim. The shim is also shorter than the zero rates, so I wouldn't want to bolt it in above whether it was steal or aluminum.

I am gonna take it all apart today and see what I can figure out. I have the offset zero rates so I will see if I can make use of the extra hole drilled through them /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Probably be a temporary fix but I won't do anything that seems dangerous.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I gave up on this, gonna have to think it over more and basically redo the rear spring setup to do it right. Not enough time and money right now, so vibration and shaking is gonna stay for now.