Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need smog removal suggestions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, May 3, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Can I get rid of all the smog crap without upsetting the computer? I really want to can it all. Emissions are not required where I live. The fresh air pump has some wiring running over to it. I just want to make sure removing the smog crap and not reconnecting those wires will be ok with the computer. Any other info I will need to know for this crapversion would be cool. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

emission certification may not be required but federal law states that if it came with it, it must stay on in working condition. I recently got busted on my 72 and in Cali it's excempt. make sure you understand your state laws.
    if it's going to be for off road use only then it may not apply.

just my 2 centavos...

ARQ.

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

What do you mean by busted? Did you have to get the old stuff and put it back on and get it inspected? Sounds like the chippy wanted to mess with you. But, there again, that organization is corrupt anyways. I avoid them like the plague. The CHP makes the other cops in this state look like angels.

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

He got pulled over at an EPA highway check point and even though his vehicle is exempt cause of age and weight they cited him because of missing equipment. Check it out in the First Gen forum. It sucks.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Your area may not have emissions now. But it will. PA had a lawsuit filed against it by the federal government, have an emissions program running in all counties by the end of 2004 or lose all roadway funding. Now we are all feeling the pinch of owning vehicles which the PO removed "all that emission crap" If you do take it off at least keep it because eventually you will need it.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What do you mean by busted? Did you have to get the old stuff and put it back on and get it inspected? Sounds like the chippy wanted to mess with you. But, there again, that organization is corrupt anyways. I avoid them like the plague. The CHP makes the other cops in this state look like angels.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it. This bullcrap your spewing about cops around these parts stops NOW!!!!!!!! Furthermore, your bullcrap allegations about CHP being corrupt has no place here.

I sense you are one of these buttwads who feels we don't need cops. Well, if it wasn't for turd burglars like you, we wouldn't be needed. STFU!!!!!!!!!!!

7. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

You are a confused person. I thought I liked you because I don't like France or the liberals in berkeley. Oh well, I agree to disagree about cops. For the record, my grandfather was a cop, my uncle was a cop, and I actually liked them, but they were old school cops. Not the kind of cop of today that feel us taxpaying folk should bow to them. Not sure about the cops where you are from, but in CA, they are pigs, pure and simple. CHP = California Highway Pigs. More interested in speed traps and their ticket quotas than catching criminals.

8. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Can I get rid of all the smog crap without upsetting the computer? I really want to can it all. Emissions are not required where I live. The fresh air pump has some wiring running over to it. I just want to make sure removing the smog crap and not reconnecting those wires will be ok with the computer. Any other info I will need to know for this crapversion would be cool. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To answer the smog removal question, remove the air injection pump and hollow out or replace the cat with a straight pipe. You may wish to keep the egr valve because the engine will probably ping if you get rid of it. Other than that, there's not a whole lot of smog stuff on a 1988, but don't quote me on that.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    You are a confused person. I thought I liked you because I don't like France or the liberals in berkeley. Oh well, I agree to disagree about cops. For the record, my grandfather was a cop, my uncle was a cop, and I actually liked them, but they were old school cops. Not the kind of cop of today that feel us taxpaying folk should bow to them. Not sure about the cops where you are from, but in CA, they are pigs, pure and simple. CHP = California Highway Pigs. More interested in speed traps and their ticket quotas than catching criminals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your full of crap. End of discussion.

10. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Bubba, i'll have to disagree with you. I called the local CHP about towing an ORV on the hiway. The guy was cool, but he was a bit defensive when i asked him and began to have a discussion about the meaning of "operating an OHV vehicle on the road". he didn't take it too well and told me he'd bust me if he saw me on the road. what do i care i called him on the phone.

After a few hours of research. I called back and told him to look up certain cali vehicle codes and such.

given that the tires and wheels are DOT approved and the hitch is corretly mounted it can be legally towed in Cali.

he then apologize and said what I told the EPA. It's impossible for someone to know all the written laws.

well, what ever happen to inocent until proven guilty. now if worse comes to worse i'm gonna try and fight the epa with illegal search and seizure since the program (Heavy Duty Vehicle Inspection Program) they used to stop me was for vehicles 6001-lbs and above. I didn't find any exceptions to that either.

ARQ.

11. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    Yeah that is realy bad. Total BS. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

So you have formed an impression about thousands of people from one person? Yeah, I know it happens all the time and it's hard if that one person is a butthole. Furthermore, that doesn't prove anything about so-called crookiness about a certain department.

Law enforcement has changed a lot in the last 20 years, especially there in Cali. Departments don't want knuckle draggers who are going to kick ass when it's needed, yet understand the complexities of the job. Now it's a bunch of snot nosed college kids who have never been out in the world and are clueless about what the job is really about.

But then opinions like that really piss me off. Here's why................I doubt there's more than a few people here can say why we are actually here. If your neighbor could respect your rights to privacy and keep from infringing on your other rights, then there would be no problems, right?

The same goes for traffic. If people could drive somewhere around the speed limit and keep their crap repaired, then there would be no cops. Oh, by the way, traffic is a good way to catch criminals.

Now with that being said, if you have paid attention, you would know I've had my problems with cops (HAWTHORNE, NV), and I've disagreements on here concerning a cop's actions and I've had a few bad things to say about some departments while I lived in CA.

In the end, someone who stereotypes law enforcement as a whole is usually some punk who couldn't conform to civilized behavior.

13. bleedchevy

bleedchevy Registered Member

Remove everything except maybe the cats unless u want to live life on the edge. The way i look at it is if the state is not to strict on the laws then remove the damn smog junk, just dont go bragging about it near authorites. There is one pipe that runs around the back of the block that can be a pain to remove, as for the computer it had no effect on it. Make sure to plug any open lines as well. and move any wiring out of the way.

14. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Bubba you said it yourself
    [ QUOTE ]
    someone who stereotypes...

[/ QUOTE ]

weather it be law enforcement or a civilian walking down the street it's what its all about.

I do understand that law enforment agents have to give that tough impression or they'll get looked down upon. I personally know a few law enforment agents and they are some of the nicest people I have meet.

Immigration agents have always been on my sh!t list(i'm mexican by birth). Untill recently when my fiancee(she's canadian) ran into some problems. she was renewing her work visa(good for yearly increments) at the us consulate mexico. she was denied entry back inthe us cause she was marring a US citizen(i have dual citizenship) and her employer wanted to keep her longer than a year.

anyhow, we were able reached the director of the port of entry, he was the nicest person i have ever met. he was very patient and understanding with us. I've met a ton of these sh!t heads but after meeting him I have to admit, there are some good law enforement agents out there.

BTW: she's still not in the states, we're still waiting for approval of another type of visa.

ARQ.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you want to try it, unplug any connectors associated with the AIR system and see if you throw any codes. If not, you can remove it.

Thats about the ONLY thing I'd mess with. Even then, it's begun to get a little iffy. I always thought AIR was injected only during cold engine operation, (and that is pretty much still believed) but according to some "research" I've seen lately, at least in some OBD1 vehicles, AIR is injected into the exhaust during cruise, more than likely for converter operation.

Along with this, the ECM changes the O2 sensor calculations based on the increased O2 content it will see when this happens. Obviously if that is the case on your truck, then you hurt performance. If you pull it and don't mess with the cat, you COULD hurt the cat too.

Now all of that is theoretical, because I haven't seen anything where anyone has done that kind of testing/code interpratation on the ttruck TBI systems. But to say it doesn't happen, isn't possible if the research hasn't been done.

I pulled evap off of my truck when I first built it, since the setup I had didn't support it. Now that I have injection, properly venting the tank is a big issue. How do you keep moisture out of the vent line, and how do you safely vent the tank? EVAP does this very well, and I shouldn't have removed it, for now I regret it.

All of that being said, I'm sure there are plenty of people that have done what you said, and had no discernable problems. Just making sure you understand that the possiblity exists.

If the truck is running good, leave it the hell alone.

16. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I just bought some shorty headers to go on a fresh rebuild. I figured while it was out I would junk the fresh air pump and the tube running from side to side. The tubing is 5/8 or better. It isn't the little tubes like on a camaro. I also want to junk the cat. The headers I ordered don't have the necessary holes to support the fresh air tubing. I could do the modifying to the headers, but why. HAHA!! Those damn stock manifold bolts are a pain in my ass anyway. Everytime something goes wrong and I need to pull the exhaust loose one of them damn studs breaks. I am just looking to drop some of the stuff that seems like excess weight and clutter.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I were to pull anything it would be AIR, but I'd disconnect the wiring plugs first, drive it, and see what happens. If it throws codes, real easy to fix, but only if you haven't ripped everything off.