Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some 10b hub help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Jun 2, 2004.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have been trying to get the hub off of my 8 lug 10 bolt for a hour now with no luck. The problem im having is once i take the locking mech. off i have a ring that runs on the outside of the hub, similar to the lock ring on the front of the steering box, how do i get that off without breaking it??? This is the first time iv tried messing with this so all the info i get will help. TIA

oh yea the point of all this is getting the rotors off /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i use two mini screwdrivewrs.one to hold the ring from spinning in the hub then the other to pry under the snapring to lift it up a little.once u have it up a little you can take the one that you were using to keep the ring from moving andget under it farther in than the one that pried it up.you should be able to then pull the ring torward you slowly till it gets out of the groove that it stays in.then when you get that off the hub lock should come out.after that you take off the outer nut.i use a magnet to get the little spacer out.if it is stuck i hit it with a chisle lightly to brake it loose.then the inner nut can come off and the huib will then come off.just watch to make sure the outer bearing doesnt fall out in to the dirt.ask me how i know this.hahA.thats it,reverse that to get it all back in with proper torqueing technique /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifs.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yep, what he said, I also find it helpful to use a dental type pick to get under the lock ring to pull it out. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you got that right, i will be adding those little picks in my tool box tomarow, i got the ring out and pulled the rest of the hub, then i found that i needed the 4 prong socket vice the six prong that i bought /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif but i should have brand new stopping power come saturday and them be able to take the kids to the beach, or wherever 79S wants to go look at /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Success, congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I also find it helpful to use a dental type pick to get under the lock ring to pull it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    A very small screwdriver, or even a pocket knife also work for getting that bugger out of there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

sorry i forgot to mention about the 4 prong hub nut wrench.the one you have is for the 14 bff nut.im glad you got it out. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif