Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some 700R4 help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ramjet gmc, Jul 7, 2002.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I installed a 700r4 from a truck that had a bad motor ant thought I be able to install this in a k5 a am trying to get ready for the summer (it is now summer) /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

PROBLEM the 700r4 only shifts threw 1st &2nd and at 40mph stops pushing like it is in N so do you think the 700r4 is bad or is the tv cable not set up correctly (very possible) if so is it full throttle and set or something like that I need some help please /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

2. MISSFIT

MISSFIT Newbie

I'm experiencing this exact same problem with my 700r /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Yes, advice would be great!! Anyone?

P.S. I picked up a TH350 just in case but I'm unfamiliar with doing the swap. Any advice, guidance, and suggestions on that would also be muchly appreciated /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ('82 Blazer, 208 t-case)

THANX!

3. ramjet gmc

anyone??? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

TV Adjustment BOBK explains how to set the TV. Hope it helps.

James

5. jtpepper

jtpepper Registered Member

Thanx for the link.Helped me out a bunch,GOD BLESS,jtpepper

6. MISSFIT

MISSFIT Newbie

Thanx for the link! I took a look at the TV cable and what should be the adjuster but for some reason I am not able to adjust it. First off there is no tab to push......After fiddling with it for over an hour.....I gave up.

I got out the good old Haynes manual as well and the diagram doesn't even look the same as what I have......I'm stumped!!! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Thanx for the help though /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyone else???

7. ramjet gmc

Look for a flat steel spot just after the snap in plug press in that steel part hard and it will move

I hope you have more luck then I have
    /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. MISSFIT

MISSFIT Newbie

Sounds like it didn't work for you......that's too bad!! So are you going to swap your tranny?

I know exactly what metal thing you are talking about, I guess She-rah here isn't quite as strong as she thought she was /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I was thinking of using a large screwdriver or something along that line but I was afraid of damaging something. However I'll give it more of an effort now that I know it does move /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Thanx!!
    Christine

P.S. Does anyone know if this problem could be the result of a clogged filter? I could drain the fluid and change the filter but for the cost and time of doing that I already have a spare TH350 tranny I could swap in instead......

9. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

If it shifts through 1st and 2nd like normal, and then doesn't shift anymore after that, most likely the 3/4 clutch pack is shot.

Which means rebuild time.

Sorry.

I had a 700 do the same thing, except it did it while cruising down the road in overdrive. All of a sudden, it went to neutral. It would shift out of 1st, into second, then into neutral. I replaced the tranny with another one.

Casey

10. ramjet gmc

11. MISSFIT

MISSFIT Newbie

arveetek - yep, that's what happened to me /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

ramjet_gmc - thanx for that link, it was very informative and now I understand better! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

So after reading arveetek's post and reading that article I'm pretty sure the tranny is toast. I had kickdown problems for while with my 305 and then I built and swapped in a 350 recently and it seemed better but I guess [censored] happens...... so yep, its most likely that the damage was already done and I probably burned out the clutch /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I'll still try the adjustment again but with no high hopes....

Thanx for all your help!

Christine

P.S. When I put in the TH350 in place of the 700R (208 t-case) does anyone know what else will need to be altered. My research has lead to mixed opinions on driveshaft's and such.

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You will almost*** definitely have to shorten the front driveshaft and lengthen the rear. You will have to move the crossmember (may have to drill new holes if none are there), and I'm not sure if the shaft stickout on the spare 350 you have will match the 700. Also what is the condition of the 350. When all is said and done you might be better off (and less hassle) to go with one of these:
    http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm#700%20Raptor

I hope I haven't discouraged you too much.