Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some Advice/Help.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alaskan85K5, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Alaskan85K5

Alaskan85K5 Registered Member

I recenly purchaces a 1985 K5 Chevy Blazer. It has a 5.0L (305) V8 in it. It was originally shipped with a TH700r4 tranny but the previous owner replaced it with a rebuilt TH350. I really wish I had the 700 now though cause I'm sure I'd be getting better gas mileage with it.

Anyway I'm on a quest for better gas mileage. I only get 10mpg regardless of setting (in town or highway). The truck starts and runs fine. However Last night I installed a new Distributor Cap & Rotor, Coil, Plug Wires, Air Filter, Fuel Filter & PVC valve.

Now the truck seems to be a bit more "Peppy" however its decided it likes to hesitate under acceleration. I need some advice on what I should try next. My thoughts so far is its either a Timing or Carb issue. I'm sure the carb probably needs some work but do you think the timing could cause this as well? Also could someone tell me the timing specs on this Year/Engine I can't find the sticker under the hood.

Would appreciate all advice & suggestions on how to improve the fuel economy and performace (hesitation problem). I'm starting to think I should have left well enough alone as the hesitation started after my "tune-up". argh..

If you'd like to see my new toy here's a link to some photo's and info:
    http://www.jeremias.net/photoalbum/?path=The Family/Jasons K5 Blazer

Remove the NOSPAM from the e-mail address to send me an e-mail.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sounds like timing to me... Rotor is seated properly and all wires in order, right (although you would probably have more problems than hesitation if that were the case)?

Maybe Fuel filter's in backwards? Again, it would probably run a lot worse if that were the trouble though.

I'd check out your timing first. I don't know what yours should be, though...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

welcome there are alot of good people around here to help, so stick around you might learn something i know i sure did. but as to your problem it sounds like a carb problem but if it didn't do that befor you replaced that stuff if could be in the ignition. But for sure check you fuel filter, they can make a big difference. sorry i'm not much help.

4. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I agree with newyorkin. Check out your timing! That fixed my hesitation!

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

probably isnt the problem, but make sure you don't have a cracked spark plug, hubby's 89 had a bad hesitation, finally figured out it was a cracked plug... just a thought!

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 12 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305