Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some advice....lookin for a project blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by midwest wheeler, Mar 3, 2003.

1. midwest wheeler

midwest wheeler Registered Member

Hi everybody,
    newbie here, although I have been a member for awhile(I bought some tires from a member a while back) I haven't really hung out here very much, but I would like to start.
    My question is: I'm looking for a project blazer 1973 and up, really want a 73-75 full covertable, but any fullsize would work too. I was hoping you guys could give me some hints as what to look for or stay away from. I am looking at it for mainly a hunting/wheeling vehicle, not daily driver. Probably 4 inch lift and 35's is gonna be about it.
    I would really like to hear any input you guys had!
    Thanks for the help everybody.
    Don

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The only downside to your plan is the full-convertible when wheeling. If the cap is on, it could crack on you. I've heard of this happening. Frame flex stretches the roof to the point that it can crack. If anything, take the roof off to wheel hardcore.
    The 4" and 35's will work, but you will rub at full flex, so prepare to cut sheet metal.
    Good basis, that's for sure, and the good thing is you know what you're looking for...that's the best way to go about it.
    Watch for rust, a definite plague of these trucks. Try to get a 350 or 400 engine, the 305 is not a good choice for power. Look at the frame near the steering box for cracks, these things tend to crack there when wheeled hard. Other than that, look for the usual things when you're gonna buy a truck...leaks and stuff. Good luck with your project!

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

If you're not fully sold on the convertible top, you've got a simplicity vs. efficiency trade-off. You can either go for an older K5 with a carb, no computer, and no smog equipment or a newer, computer controlled, FI truck. The latter will get better gas mileage and be a smoother ride, but be a bigger pain to learn and work on. I had a 90 and decided to go with something older since it would not be a daily driver.

Do some research on here too about the various axles and transfer cases available throughout the years (start with the Specifications link at the top).

4. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Advice:
    Buy one that has been owned and operated in a nice DRY place. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Where you at in Nebraska?

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

>My question is: I'm looking for a project blazer 1973 and
    >up, really want a 73-75 full covertable, but any fullsize
    >would work too. I was hoping you guys could give me some
    >hints as what to look for or stay away from.

personally I prefer half cabs... I can wheel "topless" even in the rain without getting wet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It gets less windy inside at freeway speed too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif In all seriousness though, if I was going to get a new project Blazer, my FIRST criteria would be that it be old enuff to be emmisions exempt. Dealing with them dang emmision tests while you are trying to upgrade you engine/exhaust etc is really annoying and potentially really expensive.

> I am looking at it for mainly a hunting/wheeling vehicle,
    > not daily driver. Probably 4 inch lift and 35's is gonna
    > be about it.

yeah thats what we all say at first!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif only a matter of time before you are trying to figure out how to fit 42s on there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, 4" lift kits are pretty inexpensive... I highly recommend getting a kit from BDS. May cost a little more than the really el-cheapo kits, but BDS makes a great spring. Im still kicking myself for not getting bds' up front in my rig. Since your rig (at this point anyway) isnt going to be used for extreme wheeling, you ought to be able to run 4" blocks in the rear. That will help ya keep costs down. A shackle flip or lift springs would be better for a hardcore machine... but they cost more $ also. Better to just use the blocks.

The kit will prolly come with a steering correction of some kind, taller steering arm or drop pitman arm. Crossover steering is the best way to go.... but again, you prolly wouldn't need it for a hunting rig.

the best advice i can give though is to keep visiting ck5. the amount of info/knowledge I have gained here in the last few years is huge and invaluable. When i started on my rig I literally couldnt do much more than change my oil... now Im dangerous. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

anyway, when u get your rig dont hesitate to shoot us some more questions!

j

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Id go with the 89-91 K5 and eventually make it full convertable. It has Fuel Injection and Serpintine Belt setup, 700R4 for somewhat low first gearing and what I would say is the nicest looking grille setup.

Check the Midwest K5 boards for runs near you in the future.

9. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

get a 73-75 with ac and a carberated set up for simplicity, then run a 4 inch lift with 33's throw on a flowmaster some seat covers and call it a day, plus the rear seat is fully removable and not a fold and tumble design because the rear floor goes all the way to the back of the drivers seat. You could throw an air mattress back there when ya go camping too. Also, no emissions, and buy it from a dry state in az these go from $2000 for a beater to 12,000 for a "nice one"
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. midwest wheeler

midwest wheeler Registered Member

Laketex--I'm like 8 or 9 hours from ya, that is a bit of a problem as I don't have a trailer. I was hoping to find something that I could at least limp home.

Swansson 52--I'm in Lincoln

I know what you guys mean about wanting to go bigger. I had a 79 Jimmy w/39 slicky Mickeys on it and 3/4 ton running gear. It was a blast but the body was getting bad and the tires were bald and the rear end started making noise. I just couldn't afford it at the time.
    I will try to post some old pics of it if I can remember how to do it.

http://dodgetrucks.org/cgi-bin/index.pl?photo=283

http://dodgetrucks.org/cgi-bin/index.pl?photo=282

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Start posting wanted adds on local farmer websites, and put up wanted cards/posters at Coops. Being there in Ne. you should be able to find a farmer that has one in a barn. I bought my 76 from a farmer/rancher up in ND.

12. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Being there in Ne. you should be able to find a farmer that has one in a barn.

[/ QUOTE ]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's what I thought. Going on almost 6 months of looking... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif