Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some advice on axles...REVISITED

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by C10Jon, Aug 10, 2005.

1. C10Jon

C10Jon Registered Member

I just picked up my first K5, a 76 model that is VERY rough. Ive got a set of 36" Swampers that are just begging to go on this truck, but I need advice on my axles first.

I recognize the front axle as a D44. It is missing both of its hubs, and pretty much needs rebuilt.

The rear axle appears to be a 12-bolt. Now, I do not have much experience with this axle. I know my buddy's Camaro had one, but I hear its different.

My questions are...

1. Couldnt I take hubs off of any other vehichle with a D44?
    2. Does the 12-bolt in my K5 share anything with the car 12-bolt?
    3. Will the 12-bolt hold up to 36x12.5's and a locker?
    4. Is there an easy way to convert the 12-bolt to discs?
    5. Is there a carrier break on 12-bolts?
    6. Where can I get some gears at a low price? I know I can get D44 gears for like $120, and I dont want to have to spend too much more for a set of gears for my 12-bolt(that is if its strong enough).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

1. Yes , if splines match .
    2. Some yokes and gearsets , and the cover bolts .
    3. Debateable to some , yet I would run it , and probably be ok if gas pedal isn't abused .
    4. Yes , details here on Ck5 in members section .
    5. Yes , 3.42 down , 3.73 up ( I have one of each )
    6. They can be pricey . I may be going the used route when my third 12 bolt shows up here soon .

3. C10Jon

C10Jon Registered Member

Thank you! Youre my hero! lol :bow:

Since I can use car gears, Im sure I can find some decent gears without getting the shaft...

Ive got ALOT of drag racing buddies...

4. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

car gears and truck gears are differnt, the car 12 bolt is 8.875 diameter gear, 1.625 pinion, truck is also 8.875 gear, but the pinion is only 1.438

5. pauly383

Not EVERY car gearset , just some . Gonna try to find where I heard that before , something about spacers or bearings . Will find it , maybe in a back issue of something .

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  6. big4x4ride

hmmm never knew cars came with the small pinion. Learn somethin new everyday :bow: :D

7. pauly383

8. big4x4ride

you da man :bow: :bow: :bow: :D :bow: :bow: :bow: :D

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

a question?

I wonder why GM didn't use the LARGE pinion shaft in the trucks,and the smaller ones in cars??(or why have 2 different ones to begin with??)...things like that puzzle me!... :confused: :crazy: --you would think the trucks would get the heavier duty one,being heavier and more likely to be abused... :confused: :crazy:

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have talked to Richmond about the car vs. truck gear stuff before. You can use the larger pinion car gears in a truck housing. Give them a call, they gave me a part number for the correct bearing and seal for the car pinion in a truck housing. :D

11. C10Jon

C10Jon Registered Member

Wow, so car gearsets would actually be an upgrade!

With friends that drag race, Im sure I can find some gears for a reasonable price, and even somebody to set them up!

12. C10Jon

C10Jon Registered Member

Well, I got some gears, now Ive got a few more questions...

Does anybody make aftermarket axles?

Does anybody make a spool?

So theres only 2 carriers for the truck 12-bolt? The 3.42 down and 3.73 up? Will that second carrier hold 5.14's? Or does that require yet another carrier?

Thanks so much for your patience and help!! :o

13. d'cheat

d'cheat Registered Member

As to the strength issue, the dana 44 is more than capable of standing up to 36" tires. If you go bigger than that and are an agressive wheeler, then you want to think D60 or go alloy shafts and CTM u-joints... However, this is only if you have the later model D44 with the large u-joints. :) Pick up somthing called a drive flange while your searching for your hubs. These can be found on older chevy D44's. The drive flange bolts on inplace of a locking hub, and locks your stub shaft inplace. If you ever bust a hub while on a trail, the drive flange a good strong fix untill you can fix the hub itself.
    The 12 bolt rear axle is a damn good axle. Its roughly that of a Dana 60. You cant get custom axles for it as far as I know. However, 12 bolt shafts are cheap at the bone yards. Keep a set on hand if you love putting your foot in it while wheelin.

14. Emmettology 101

Car gears would be sort of an upgrade. There was a big discussion about this a few years back. The pinion is bigger, but I think the general consensus was it didn't matter much cause not many pinions break....

15. C10Jon

C10Jon Registered Member

Alright, I just got done talking to Richmond.

Heres the low-down on the car gears in the truck housing. You need:

-Car Carrier
    -Timken pinion bearings #24780 and #24721
    -Car Yoke
    -Car Pinion seal
    -Shorter crush sleeve

16. C10Jon

C10Jon Registered Member

Well, Ive got my 5.14 gears, and Richmond said I needed the 4-series car carrier.

Well, I got to searching for parts, and I cannot find a 4-series open carrier anywhere!! All I can find is posi's(YUCK!), spools, and mini-spools. Detroit Lockers only makes one for 3-series gears...

I dont know what to do now... Does anybody know where I can get this 4-series car open carrier? Im about to pull my hair out!! :doah:

The only solution Ive come up with so far is c-clip eliminators and a spool, but from what Ive read, they dont like side-loads... :rolleyes: I would just scrap the 12-bolt and get a Ford 9" or the like, but Ive already got the gears... :mad:

Can anybody help me?

17. Emmettology 101

Hmmm.. They never said anyting to me about having ot have a car 4 series case before. Wonder what the reaosning is?

WHat markings on the case verify that it is a 4 series? And whats the carrier break between a 3 and 4 series?

EBAY Link

18. C10Jon

C10Jon Registered Member

Well, I think I MIGHT have found a carrier. A guy I buy parts from said hes got a carrier that has 12-bolt marked on it. It has 4.10 gears on it, but he dont know what the carrier come out of.

I asked him what size the pinion was hoping that it may give me an idea as to what it might be.

Sounds like a truck carrier. Anybody know for sure?

19. C10Jon

C10Jon Registered Member

Well, after many beers, and much discussion amongst my buddies, we have come up with a solution.

The plan:

Im having my ring gear, a 3-series carrier, and a ring gear spacer drilled out for the largest, toughest bolts I can fit without making the surrounding metal too thin.

Something else Ive kinda wondered about doing is possibly welding the spacer to either the carrier or ring gear.

What do yall think?

20. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Don't know if these questions were answered.

Aftermarket axles-I'm running Superior Gears' axle shafts.

You have to run a mini-spool. In order to run a full spool you'd need the c-clip eliminator. I believe I've seen them in Summit.

And I'm running 37" MT/Rs on 12bolt with a Detroit and above mentioned shafts.