Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some advice on electrical upgrades

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by scotty1, Oct 30, 2002.

1. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I have done the intake, headers and exhaust changes I wanted and am pretty happy with it, now I am thinking of some ignition upgrades. I plan on getting a Hypertech reprogrammer and want to go with a OBOII compatable coil for a more powerful spark, this will also be in conjunction with bigger and fresh wires, cap, rotor and plugs. My truck is a 97 Tahoe with the Vortec motor. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

2. finnd

finnd Registered Member

I did a full MSD ignition on my 97 yukon and my 1999 454 suburban. That would be the coil, 8.5mm wires, new plugs and the 6A ignition box. Also tuned with the hypertech. To be honest, the ass dyno didn't really feal a diference in power and I didn't see any appreciable change in MPG either. If I had it to do again, I wouldn't.

3. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

thanks for your input, I was concidering the same changes. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. finnd

finnd Registered Member

I know people seem to get a real gain when they are dealing iwht he older engines, but I think GM has the ignition setup pretty much dialed in on the newer ones. Oh well, at least I have pretty red wires. :-)

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

SUPERCHARGER!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    YYYYEEEEHHHHAAAWWWWWWWWW! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

would that be an electrical supercharger? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I still think I will get the hypertech reprogrammer mainly for the reason that in the future I plan to get the hoe lifted and go with 35"s and 4:10 rings and pinions and the HT unit will adjust the computer for the changes. I will also go for new wires and plugs just for the heck of it. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif