Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some advice on swapping 6" blocks for 6" springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Apr 15, 2003.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

need some advice on swapping 6\" blocks for 6\" springs

"Ted" is selling some rear 6" springs: from "For Sale" forum

i'd really like to replace my rear 5.5" blocks, but i'm concerned as to whether my truck will still sit even, or will the rear be higher/lower?

any way to know aside from just purchasing the springs and giving it a go? and would this be hard to fix?

***i just did a little more searching - is it just better overall to go with an echobit shackle flip? about the same lift w/more flexibility?

2. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Re: need some advice on swapping 6\" blocks for 6\" springs

MY advice would be to do a shackle flip and see how low the rear sits and buy a block or lift springs for the rear to make it sit level. It should be about a 2" block or spring. I flipped my shackle the other weekend. I just cut a hole in the bottom of my shackle holder big enough for the shackle to move around and I added some bracing to the holder. Cheap (free) and easy, plus you dont have the stiff springs and stiff ride of 6" springs. Or you could buy a shackle flip kit.

Trey

3. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

the springs will be stiffer than the shackles?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the more a spring is arched, generally, the stiffer it is... so yes, a stock or 2" spring + a shackle flip will be softer/flexier than just a 6" spring. I would recommend installing an echobit flip... and then it the rear end is just a little low, add a set of ORD zero rates. They give you an extra inch and done change the stiffness of your springs at all. If, after the flip is installed, the rear is closer to 2" lower than the front, then I'd recommend a set of nice and soft (BDS or tough country) 2" springs for the rear.

j

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Do the echobit flip with stock springs. I bet it'll sit level with no zero rates needed. (I have it)