Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some advice.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, May 4, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

On my last fourwheeling trip, I happened to hit my driveshaft on a couple of rocks. Im going wheeling again in a little over 2 weeks...and I was gonna have my shaft re-tubed. But after thinking about it..I think I may be able to get away with running my existing dented up shaft. Since its gonna be about $100 to re-tube this one, do you guys think I can just run what I have? It has a few dents around it in a citcular direction, but none went through. Its out of balance now and vibrates over about 45 mph. Not a horrible vibration..but noticeable nontheless. Would this hurt anything by running it for say 100 miles with the vibration? I just dont want to spend $100 to re-tube this one...when I run a high possibility of just doing it again on the next wheeling trip. If you guys think it would be better to re-tube it...then thats what Ill end up doing...just trying to save $100 before the next trip. Heres a pic: Thanks.
    -Harrison

n29711169_30529271_1324.jpg

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I think you need a spare shaft anyways, so why don't you have a new shaft made, and use it as your spare. I don't see running the current being a problem. Are you going to be traveling over 45mph for most of that 100 miles?

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

It can fold over and twist apart pretty easy once it has dents in it. I would either retube it or get a new one made.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That shaft will pretzel really easily now that it'd dented. As soon as you get on it it'll be toast. A dent smaller than that helped FUBAR my old rear shaft. It lasted less than a minute after denting it...I got on it to try and bump up a ledge and it folded up like a cheap tent.

Rene

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

bad vibes can cause problems in your t-case and possibly your diff.....so Ive been told.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I dont have any money for a whole new shaft. I barely have enough to re-tube this one as it is.:doah: Plus its a cv shaft, so a whole new one would be $$$. But your right, I do need a spare....
    -Harrison

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice 383 and Trusty. That advice just saved me a bunch of trouble on the trail. I figured the integrity of the shaft would be compromised...but I wasnt sure as to the extent. I figured that I was still roasting the tires with the dented up one right after I dented it, I drove it about 30 miles home, then got on it pretty hard around here and it didnt break...but I definitely see it comming apart when I really take it wheeling in two weeks. Im gonna take it to the shop monday...they want $95 to re-tube it. Cheapest place I have found around here....Thanks guys.:bow:
    -Harrison