Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeromy Gibson, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

first a little info on what I got.
    82 K5, stock 350, 52's up front and 57's on the back. I just got done swaping in a 465 and 205 combo.

I need some advice on drive shafts, the problem is our annual mudbog is in less than two weeks and right now I don't have the money to go through my 3/4 tons I have sitting in my backyard. I have a D44 and 12bolt under it now. what should I tell them I need at the driveshaft place to avoid duplicating cost later on. And in general what do I need everthing work. This is my first build and I want to do it right.

2. Jeromy Gibson

ok with no answers I measured my drive shafts and took them up there but I am wondering if the rear drive shaft is going to have enough slip for the Ecobit shackle flip and ford springs. How much slip is needed for that setup? oh the driveshaft measures 49 1/2 inchs if that makes a differance.
    thanks for any help

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I would recommend having a d shaft made with 1350 u joints at the t case and diff. You'll probably have to replace the t case yoke now but when you do swap in your 14FF you wont have to change anything. While you have the 12 bolt you'll have to use a conversion u joint in the rear.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Jeromy Gibson

t case has 1350 they are out of a 1ton truck. will the rear shaft have to be shortened again? I am more concerned with the shaft seperating thou. I reused the slip on the rear shaft I was give with the tcase. It already had a longer than stock slip but not much. the front shaft I had to get completely rebuilt and I went with a full splined slip that is over a 1 3/4 longer.

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

If all you are going to do is throw a 14FF in to replace your 12 bolt the d shaft wont change much from what I understand. When I went to 14FF on my 70 Jimmy I also lifted the rear 2.5 inches so my stock d shaft was too short. If you have the 14FF you could measure the difference and then add it to your current dimensions so the d shaft will be basically built for the 14FF application and just use a conversion u jt in the meantime. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif