Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some advise for GM drivetrain conversion in a Toyota

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Dec 22, 2003.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I've got a 97 Toyota Tacoma I'm converting to 4wd using the 3/4 ton drivetrain I have left over from a 91 Suburban after converting it to 1 ton.

I've got the 14 Bolt SF set up in the rear (easy - leaf spring bolt in) and have the Corp. 10 Bolt front axle up front (fabbed leaf spring mount set up). Steering was pretty straight forward with a dropped drag link and tierod set up from ORD.

I'm left with bolting up the 241c transfer case to the transmission, setting up the linkage and getting driveshafts. I was planning on using an Advanced Adaptor "adaptor" for the bolt up, but this puts the transfer case so far back that the stock linkage will put the shifter in the back seat and make for a pretty long front driveshaft. Does anyone have any suggestions as this method looks like it will lead to a lot of work.

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What kind of motor is in the Toy? You may want to also consider dropping in a 383 to really get that sucker moving. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Keep in mind that you'll probably have to do a lot of fender trimming seeing that you're probably going to have to relocate the shocks which will lead to a lot more flex.

About the shifter location, you should consider fabbing up a doglegged shifter that 90s forward and travels underneath the body before popping up in proper location. You shouldn't have to cut too big of a hole in the floor to make it work....

Sounds like a fun project, brother. Keep us posted.

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Canmore,

I'd love to drop in a 383, but the truck belongs to my girlfriend and she has this thing about gas milage.

I didn't even think of a doglegged shifter set up. That might work. I'll check it out when I'm under the truck next.

Thanks,

Eric M.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

eric... you can move the motor mounts forward about 3" within factory slots in the frame to move the transfercase forward and decrease the length of the front driveshaft, i have seen the doglegged shifter setup on Tacomas with 241's and gm running gear, ill email you a drawing i have of the one on my buddies..

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Ive got a 350 and a 305 in the garage. Both run I just ckeck. You can have one of them if you want. Ive also got some axles and a TC if u need it. If you need some help I can come up there. Ill bring the engine. If you dont want to change the engine out get the stock motor bored out. My buddy did this same thing to his Tacoma It took us about 2 weeks to get it done.

LMK If you need anything
    Nick

6. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Eric,

I have a friend that we wheel with here in AZ that has done this swap. He's running 33" MTR's and runs the same transfer case setup that you are talking about. It's a pretty straight forward swap other than like one of the above guys said, you gota keep in mind the fender clearances, with 33's at least you gota do some major fender cutting in order to get that beast to flex without hitting fenders. My buddies rig has got some awesome flex, and it's the $hit in the rocks. Good luck and let's see some pics when you are done.

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input. This is what I found today. The transfer case is bolted up.
    Confedneck, I wish I saw your post earlier, we screwed around trying to figure out the dogleg shift linkage set up for about an hour when the guy who was helping me noticed the slots for the motor mounts. Oh well, I've wasted more time doing stupider stuff. ORD has got all the dimensions for the shift linkage and I should have that after Christmas. I'll have to lose the center console, but I hated that thing anyways, it would never screw tight to the floor.

Unick, thanks for the offer of a GM engine, but I think gas milage will be a concern. If my girlfriend thinks the stock engine isn't enough for her, I'll think of a swap, but for now, I just want to get the thing running.

I have a concern after reading these posts about fender clearance and the 33" tires. I have 33" s so, would rather try and make them fit as I'm not going to buy new, smaller tires. I thought the 2wd Toyota fenders had the same opening as the 4wd and figured with about 4" of spring arch, the 33" would fit (I've seen lots of 4x4 Toys with 4" lift clear 33s). Are the fenders different? I don't think my girlfriend will be very happy if I cut the fenders. This thing won't be wheeled hard, mostly trails and snow. For those who have done or seen this conversion done, can I clear the stock 2wd fenders with 33" and 4" of lift? I've got a few days to kill as I'm waiting for shift linkage and driveshafts, I could rearch the springs a bit if needed.

Thanks,

Eric M.

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

AFAIK the 33's will clear without any fender trimming. It will probably be close but if your not wheeling it hard im pretty sure it will clear.

nick

9. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Thanks Nick,

I wasn't looking forward to pulling the springs and rearching and the Sawzall approach was out of the question. I'll run it as it is.

Eric M.

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

eric.. best way to make sure you have clearence with those fenders, is to simply install a few washers where the fender bolts down from the top, to raise it up half an inch.. that will create just the right amount of clearance for the tires, and the hood can still be adjusted up to meet the gap, and you cant tell across the bottom..

11. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

You may reconsider a motor swap, her motor is undrpowed anyways, with a bigger motor it will have less work to do in her truck verse one like yours. More motor+less weight= awsome gas milage, if she is up for it I would swap it in.

Also have you considered a remote linkage system for adapting the 241, also now would be a great time to add a slip yoke eliminator kit /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif with a speed toggle /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Please post pics, also I have a friend who is doing this so maby we could come over and offer advice on the doglegged shifter set up if you dont go with the remote linkage system. Also I beleave that with my set up you will have less cutting to do, and that will keep her happy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Confedneck,

I spent the day (and night) tieing up loose ends and trial fitting the tires. I'll try the washers, 1/2" more would certainly help.

Thanks,

Eric M.

13. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Supersize,

I didn't think of that, a truck with a 350 weighing 1/2 as much as my Suburban would get much better milage and would be a rocket! It's tempting, but I'm running out of time. Come Jan. 11 if this thing isn't back together, she gets the keys to my Suburban!

Remote linkage system and slip yoke eliminator kit with a speed toggle are already in the works .... for my truck! Geez, I wanna see what you guys get your girlfriends for Christmas?? I'll save that stuff for next year if she hasn't rolled the thing by then!

I'll post pictures if I can remember how. She takes care of all the websites and postings. She's gotten so hi-tech, I need a cheat sheet to figure how to post pictures to our sites. She told me how before she left .... but I forgot. If i can't figure it out, I'll send one of you guys the picture and you can post it. I'll be gone until Friday. I should have the linkage and driveshafts by Monday or Tuesday, after that it shouldn't be too long and I'll get a few shots.

Thanks for the help guys,

Eric M.

14. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Got my parts, now just need to wait for the rain to let up and this flu to pass /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Eric M.

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Did you decide to go with the dogleg shifter setup? I'd be interested in seeing how you fabbed it up. Just one note I forgot about in my initial post- make sure that you allow clearance for the transition yoke bearing. You'd hate to make contact with that sucker at highway speeds.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I did go with the dogleg set up. I held it up under the truck today for fitment. Great fit, but I'm still getting over the flu so didn't want to push it. I didn't even think about the transition yoke bering. I'll watch for clearance with it. This is the third time I've forgot about that thing while ordering parts and making crossmembers. I'm not use to working around them since GM uses a conceled planatary yoke inside the transmission instead. I wish I could convert the Toyota, but that is a little too much work this go around. I should be back on my feet soon and will post some pics when finished.

Thanks,

Eric M.

17. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I don't know what your laws are in sunny CA but some places require tire coverage. I've got a set of fender flares off of the wifes 4Runner if you need them. We went to 35's on hers and I spent about 3 weeks rebuilding/welding/fabbing new fender openings /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Let me know. Good luck, sounds like a fun project. OLD DAWG

18. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Thanks,

I'll keep those fender flares in mind. Right now I'm waiting for this flu and the weather to clear up so I can start putting this thing back together.

Eric M.

19. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Finally had a nice day, and feeling good enough to wrap this up. The dogleg linkage works great. No clearance problems and shifts just fine. Old Dog, I'm going to take you up on your offer of the fender flares. Tire clearance is tight, the front just clears the back of the fender when turning. Going over potholes (sorry, no trails in S.F. for test drives) while turning, the tires rub, plus, the 33 x 12.50 hang out a little, especially in the back. I think the flares will look better, help clearance in the front and keep the CHP off her butt as far as tire exposure is concerned.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Eric M.

[​IMG]

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Someone needs to cut some fenders.