Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some advise...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Mar 14, 2005.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ive asked for advise on this forum and you guys have steered me straight before. im working on moving out of my parents house with my girlfriend. so im gonna be picking up a lot of bills, rent, power, cable etc... but i need to drop one of my hobbies to be able to afford it. ive got the suburban, my quad, and paintball... now i know alot of you are instantly gonna say paintball has to go but i love paintball... love it. and its expensive but way cheaper than the suburban... the sub inst as much a hobby as it is a money pit... the thing costs me ****loads of money and i cant even wheel it. (4.10s in rear and 3.73s front, destroyed front drive shaft...), the quad i cant possibly give up, im paying on it every month, and my family rides quads... i cant give that up. i keep telling myself i cant sell my suburban but i cant afford to drive it everyday to and from work... and ive got to give my uncles pickup back in another month, leaving me with only the suburban.which will eat easily $60 a week in gas alone plus other unexpected expenses... i dont know what to do guys... i love my suburban but the fact of the matter is... i cant afford it.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sell it man. Buy a beater. You still have the other hobbies. You can always get another one when you are in a better way. You're young, plenty of time left man. How old are you again? I'm not sure when I'm gonna leave the parents house(going back there after school) but I don't think it will be in the next few years, gonna save money and build credit hopefully get a house right off the bat, that would be nice.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You've already made your decision

You can wheel a quad

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If you were closer I'd sell you a old toyota car. it's not pretty much it gets LOTS of MPG. It has a 22r (or 22re, don't know) so its real good.
    BUT, if you sell the burb, look for a cheap, small displacemtn car to save on gas, then just build up the money and eventually get a new one?
    Don't take advise from me though, i'm younger and stupieder:blush::D

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with RJ. It sounds like you've already made your mind up.

HOWEVER, the reality is that your paintball hobby is by far the most useless of your hobbies. What does it provide you other than a little bit of a rush? Yeah, your Sub costs a lot of cash, but at least you GET something out of it. Sorry, I can't see how shooting paintballs beats cruising.

Anyhow, go with your gut on this one. If you REALLY want to save cash, maybe you should sell the paintball gun AND the Sub and buy a fishing rod........:D

6. muddysub

im 20 right now. thats what i did i went to school down in phoenix when i was 18 and moved back into mom and dad's house when i came home...

i guess you have to play it to understand, ive already sold my old gun and i need a new one...

i need something capable of towing atleast an 18ft flatbed with a few quads on it... a half ton pickup can do that and still get like 15mpg...

if i sell the sub id like to sell it to a ck5 member that way ill be able to see its progress and know its in good hands.

7. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Yea, and then he ends up with a $100,000 fishing boat :rotfl:

I say get out of paintball. I never really got too deep into it, but I know what you're saying about it being addicting. Even so, what Paul said makes sense to me.

And I already tried to sell my body on eBay. It doesn't work.

8. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

get rid of paintball and the suburban and put some money in the damn bank or invest it. I ABSOLUTELY PROMISE you will need it one day, and it is very comforting to know that if some crazy sh!t happens like your car breaks down and your house gets broken into in the same day you've got something to fall back on.

The only reason i say get rid of both is because latter on as long as you live within your means you can get another suburban and another paintball gun. personally i like airsoft but i do understand how addicting pb can be and sense it seems there is no way you're getting rid of the quad my suggestion is to sell off the burb and give up paintball for a while.....:deal:

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Does your girlfriend have a car ?

I drive my Blazer to and from work , and for almost everything else we take the wifes car .

I wouldn't sell the Sub , but thats just from me loving Chevy's and missing the ones I sold or killed when younger .

I do feel the gas price and money pit thing , but I make it work , it gets tight sometimes though .

I basically gave up on my other hobbies like r/c cars , guitar practice , etc . Love em , but trucks the main hobby .

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's all up to you. I don't know if I'd sell the burb, sounds like it means alot to you. You could always park it till you can afford too regear it. You may want too look for a apt. with all utilitys paid.

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what i would do is buy a little beater ricer and use that as your daily driver and park the burb for now:D :D

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sell off the quad and all the paintball (crap) stuff and buy an econo car and keep the burb! Problem solved. Your Welcome.

13. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I too would say sell it and do what you have to do. Just because you won't have the burb does not mean you can't enjoy reading about wheeling, or wheeling with friends. Once you have gotten yourself a little more firmly planted, you can go about getting another one and probably enjoy it even more.

best of luck to you.

14. muddysub

well im still thinking about selling or not. ive got my 81 toyota pickup to wheel when i want to and the money from selling the sub could buy me a daily driver pickup that i could still tow my quads with... and buy tools and paintball stuff...

on the other hand i love my suburban! id have a hard time selling it... if i were to sell it it woud have to be to a ck5 member, so i know its in good hands...

i still dont know what to do... it'd prolly be best for me to sell it... the onbly thing keeping me from doing it is the fact that i love that truck!

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You still have a SFA Toyota? Pshhh wheel that! CK5 isn't neccesarily about GM only, it's about family and *awwwwwww* :)

I'm sure it'll eventually or already has GM parts

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Paintball doesnt have to be expensive. I dont spend near as much as i used to anymore, and selling off $2K in equipment sure helped out the wallet. I still play as often and with the same group, only now i shoot a slide framed cocker i built for a toy. Much easier on paint, plus they almost never break or go down, unlike everybody elses.

I enjoy the game even more now than when i was playing competitively. Like i said, it doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg every time you go out. Sell off some equipment, depending on what you have, or just cut back a bit. Just my $.03

17. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Which, if any, does your girl friend like to do? If any of your hobbies are something you and your girl friend do I would keep that one for sure. It is very nice having hobbies in common with the GF/Wife.

18. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Paintball if you already own the equipment it doesn't cost you anything until you play. See if you can offset cost by helping out at the place you play paintball at. The sub well although I am a die hard Chevy guy it doesn't seem real practical if it is just you and the girlfriend. You may be able to work a trade for a smaller vehicle for better gas mileage or maybe a pickup and then just haul your quad in the back or get a small trailer and make everybody else haul thier own quad.

Just start slow and maybe skip the cable until you see the bills come in and are sure you can swing a luxury or two. Then slowly add them. I use overtime and side work to pay for my hobbies. When I moved in with my gf (now wife) I had a blazer, a chevelle, a le mans, a dirt bike, a street bike. After about a year I had a blazer left and that was all. Now I am re buying some of the stuff I gave up for a few years!! I also don't buy new quads and dirt bikes or vehicles for that matter. I buy them a few years old and for a lot less money. Good Luck. For me it was worth being poor to have the independence of living on my own!!