Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some assistance...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vdog, May 20, 2005.

1. vdog

vdog Newbie

I have a 89 k5. It has 10 bolt front and rear. It currently has 2:42s under it. I have some 35s MTRs I want to run. I live in CA. and my new beast is in Texas. The real only time I will take it to the mud is 2-3 times every couple of months nothing major. I just want to know if I should replace the gears and if so what should I replace them with. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Replace them? Yes. With what? Why new gears of course :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    George

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

You definitely need to replace them. It will be a dog with 2.42's and your tranny will hate you. Throw in some 4.56's and an aftermarket tranny cooler and call it good.
    -Harrison

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Personally I think that the cheapest way to swap gears is to swap axles. Usually you can find used axles with the gears you need and it's going to be cheaper than changing gears.

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

You bringing it out to Ca? I know of a guy who is coming this way in Mid-june if you need it hauled. Fair price, cheaper than anywhere else I found.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

yep. what he said. better gears will also equal better mileage. 2.42's and 35's is not a good combo. you will burn up the tranny real quick.

7. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

you can get stock axles from yards, some with 4.10s... i forget exactly which models came with 4.10s though, i know some people here know.