Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some assistance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by general blaze, Sep 8, 2005.

1. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

ok. i am new to diesels. anyway my oil pressure was reading fine since i bought the truck. now as soon as i turn the key on the oil pressure guage pegs. I tried looking around under the hood but i dont see any lines going into the dash for an analog guage so i am guessing it is a digial guage. in this case where the hell is the sensor or oil pressure valve that might be stuck.. some assistance asap would help since this is my only working vehicle right now and i am supposed to go off roading in a couple hours.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

wire pinched...or..

If the wire going to the sending unit gets grounded,like if it gets pinched or rubs thru and gets grounded,it will peg the needle on the gauge..a sending unit might cause the same symptoms if it gets stuck--(assuming you have the stock GM gauges!)...
    I've never looked for the oil sending unit on my 6.2--I assume its probably in the same spot as a gas motor in the back of the block,or near the oil filter..I'd suspect the wire more than the sending unit,check the wire first..usually its a tan or brown wire for the oil pressure sender.. :crazy:

3. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. this site is a big help. well i figured the same thing as you. so i checked the wire all seemed fine. so i bought anew sending unit just to see if it will work. after about 2 hours of trying to get the stock one off the block i said **** it cause it was getting dark. and put it back together so i would have something to drive to work. i started the truck to see if i had an oil leak from there and what do you know the guage started working again. HmMM.. whatever. i am just going to switch to manuel guages i have some autometers left over from my sports car i am just going to throw them in the truck instead. dont think i will be needing the boost guage though..hahah

4. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Thats funny I just had the same thing happen to me....now look. I like these much better. Wish I had done this sooner! :D

[​IMG]

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hijack:

What brand/series are those gauges?

End Hijack

6. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Equus!