Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some basic advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Sep 20, 2006.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

on cleaning a 205 really well prior to rebuild.

Just want to know if degreaser or brakecleaner will eat through a rubbermaid type tub. I am doing it in my garage and don't have a parts washer nor am I going to buy one that big anyway. I want to just drop the TC in a bin and clean it that way but I'm afraid it will eat through. Can't make too much of a mess of the garage as I have some home improvement stuff going on and my FIL's old Malibu stored there and I was getting spray degreaser splatter on it when I just tried to spray the 205 on the cart.

If there are any better options for cleaning solutions I'm open to suggestions.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use brake cleaner in tupperware all of the time. It seems to aggrivate my wife, but has no effect on the tupperware.

Just double tub it. If the inside one starts to have a problem, the second will give you time to get it all out without messing up the garage.

And quit getting stuff on that car.

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I know, he parked where it kinda blocks my toolbox and I almost dropped some friggin pliers on it the other day. Trying to keep my 2 1/2 year old away from it is always fun too.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Go buy some paint or lacquer thinner, it seems to be just as aggressive, cheaper, you can just pour it into a tub and use a stiff bristled brush.

That engine degreaser/brake cleaning stuff works great on pretty thin stuff, but when you are dealing with 20 years of dirt and oil, you need to scrape and scrub, then scrub some more. That brake or engine cleaner stuff simply won't cut all the way through the thick stuff, so IMO it's cheaper and easier to just start with a gallon of thinner.

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I just used a gallon of kerosene that the PO of my house left behind. It worked pretty well for scrubbing and does not evaporate. At least not very fast. I've had it in the same open tub for a couple weeks and it looks like its all still there.

Cheap too. Like $5 per gallon... give or take

I was cleaning smaller parts with it like ps pump bracket and it worked great.

I usually use printing press solvent but was out of it so I used the kerosene. Printing press solvents are blends of kerosene and some other nasty VOCs. Designed to disolve ink which is much tougher to get out than grease. Its cheap too. $10 per gallon or less and can be found in all cities in printing supply stores.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

x2 on the kerosen. then when done take it to a wast oil recovery place and turn it in. best to mix it with some used oil first tho. makes it easyer to hand it in.

or most local auto shops nowadays use waste oil to burn for heat. this will burn good in there also.