Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some Brain Power here

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaveBlazin, Jan 16, 2003.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok Im gonna try and explain this as best as possible. My Blazer had sat for about 4 or 5 months without running and I just got done with an ignition system replacement(wires,plugs,coil,etc...) I put some carb cleaner in the tank and let her run for about 10 minutes and i was gonna go for a ride to jet out the carbs HEHEHEHE!!! Well I barely got to about 15mph when it started missing and hesitating. And now it idles that way to I didnt drive it very far due to I was affraid I would be pushing soon and I think my valve guides are gone cause she's smoking right nice now. Could this just be something as simple as a fuel filter. ANY AND ALL ADVICE Appreciated!!!!

2. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What color is the smoke?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Since you just redid the ignition system, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the problem is in something you replaced. Burned plug wire, the rotor came off, distributor wasn't tightened down and the timing jumped out... It's bound to be obvious, just go over everything that you replaced. </font color>

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Like shaggy said. And as to the smoke, you probably have what i had when I let my 350 sit for 6 months and then started it, it smoked for 2 days and it ran a little rough not too bad but a miss here and a miss there, then smoothed out after 2 days and no more smoke.

5. CaveBlazin

Im gonna continue to run her but Im afraid to get on the road until then. Thanks O yea the color of my smoke changes from a nice white to a blue so you tell me whats up...

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well mine wasn't too bad as far as hesitation, and the smoke was consistently light grey.
    If you have blue and white then you might have some blow by, or dry valve seals. It shouldn't be too bad as long as it doesn't loose too much oil.
    As for your ignition, check everything you did one thing at a time and retest until you find the culprit. if it's as bad as you describe I wouldn't drive it.

7. CaveBlazin

Well its like this I start out in 1st like most SM465er's do and its ok until I hit about 10mph(not for sure on the RPM's) and it will hesitate then I'll get on the throttle a little and it will clear up for a few until I shift into 2nd then it starts to really get bad on the hesitation I usually have to downshift in order not to stall. I hope this does'nt confuse yall. I checked all the wires I just need to reset my timing again at TDC I'll do that when it stops raining or I mean snowing whichever it decides to do....

8. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you are running out of fuel. As for the smoke, I don't really know. Fill er up with some new gas and change the filter. Hopefully that will help.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Did you replace the distributor, or just the cap and rotor?

I don't recall what the symptoms were for a distributor installed 180* off, but I remember it gave some other guys fits, until they figured out what they'd done!!!

Also, were the wires pre-made or did you buy a universal set and crimp-on the connectors at one end? I bought a DIY set of MSD wires and messed one of them up pretty bad (very high resistance)....the truck still ran but it arc'ed a lot and ate up the cap and rotor in less than 5000 miles.

Just another couple thoughts.....let us know if you've figured anything out.