Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some carb troubleshooting....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aandpman, Jan 15, 2003.

1. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifSpecs - 85 K-10 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif with 600 Holley vac sec, electric choke (model 80457), stock exhaust, Standard HEI without ESC. Have run this setup for a good while with relatively no trouble, so nothing has really changed lately.

OK...recently checked all vacuum hoses, and did find one cracked /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (the one to the TC lockup switch) but I fixed that, Truck wouldn't run well when first started cold, would sometimes die.

Now that all vac lines are seemingly good, here's what I get:
    2 pumps on the skinny pedal, she starts on the first bump in the morning, when she warms up she runs OK (except for a little off-idle stumble (might even die) when still cold.

Once she's up to operating temp, If i stop and cut her off, she takes a good bit of cranking to re-start, may even take a few pumps on the skinny pedal to get started again, then smells like flooded. Once she's cranked again, she seems to run OK.

Please, no wisecracks about holley /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif it's actually been a pretty reliable carb and it's a no-brainer to maintain.

Thanks for any suggestions to check

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i'am having a similar problem with my new q-jet. 2 pumps on the gas on a cold engine and it'll fire right up, then lets say i drive down to napa. when i come out to start it, it won't. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. if i pump it it seems to flood,but if i wait and don't pump it and just keep cranking 15-20 seconds it'll "kinda" start up..

i've checked everything esle and i think the choke is somehow misajusted.. i have an electric choke to.. so maybe your choke is some how partially closeing after it's warmed up and well chokeing the engine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I'd check float level or possible sticky float situation in both cases.

4. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

I would check for a possible fuel boiling issue.