Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some Dad help - Could use some female input as well.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chalet2506, Apr 10, 2007.

?

So....

1. Your being selfish, get her the damn Barbie rig.

67.4%
  2. Barbies are for playing house, not fishing. Keep the cane pole

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Go with a Zebco 33 and don't look back.

7.0%
  4. Your fishing so who cares? Keep her out of the beer cooler.

25.6%
  1. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My oldest girl is just about to be 6 years old. We go fishing together and she's been using a cane pole for the last 2 years. I like it because its easy and she's pretty good at catching fish with it. However, she's decided that she needs the Barbie fishing pole for her birthday, and I'm having a hard time with it.

#1 She's got all kinds of Barbie stuff at the house already. Do we really need to drag that stuff along on fishing trips?

#2 I don't think she's ready to graduate to the good ol spincast combo yet.

#3 Cane poles are simple.

A little background on me. I'm not a high maintenance bass type fisherman. I like to sit on a riverbank a drink a little beer and wait for something to bite. It's more about getting out and relaxing to me than chasing the big one.

Help me out here. Last year a big fish took her cane pole to the big murky, so I need to go get something.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I'd say comprimise with some barbie stickers on a cane pole...

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I say get here the Barbie poll she will still be out with you fishing. That is what really matters right?

I am gonna get my daughter a welding helmet so she can help me and I wont have to worry about flashing her. I almost expect here to put her girly stickers and stuff on it:o .

Ira

4. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Shiat, you already know what you are going to do. I think the Barbie fishing pole will look real nice with the comoed Chalet you have...........:haha: :haha: :wink1:

I bet sweetheart has you so wrapped up it isn't even funny.

All kidding aside, you know she is going to modify it anyways. Look at her role model, can't leave anything alone, always have to "customize stuff".

5. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Get her one of those RONCO or WAMCO (or whoever the hell makes it) launching fishin poles that shoots the bobber and hook 30 feet out into the water!! It's the first step to teaching her to shoot a gun.
    Jimbo
    Oh, and put a Barbie sticker on it, she'll treasure it forever, cause you did it for her, Dad.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I say get her the barbie pole. It's not like she's playing Barbie's with it, she's still fishing with you.

My son wants one of those poles that shoots the bobber out. He's a kickarse caster, though, so I'd hate to see him "cheat" with one of those...

7. chalet2506

I've seen those things somewhere. That's a good idea.

8. chalet2506

I'm trying to keep it simple. Maybe I can talk her into the camo'd GI Joe one. Are they still around? It would look real good with the truck.:D

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ah, just get the pink one, she'll be happy, and you can always hide it under the seat :P Only one way she'll learn how to cast :)

10. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

Get her the Barbie fishing pole. I understand what your saying, I have a daughter myself. We as outdoor people have to do whatever it takes to keep the next generation loving the outdoors. So that the generation after them and so on will be able to enjoy what we do. So if it takes a pink Barbie fishing pole to keep her fishing and enjoying the outdoors do it.

11. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Just went through the same thing with my 5 year old. I just had a father daugther talk with her and explained to her that if she wanted to fish with daddy she had to use a real fishing pole. I told her that the Barbie. scooby doo, batman, whatever poles were TOYS not to actually fish with. I bought her a 5 ft pole with a Zebco 33 and let her sling it. She nailed it the first time and threw it out like 45 ft!! Never again did she ask for the Barbie thing.

I let her and support her girl side of her but when she is wrenching with me, working with me, hunting with me, fishing with me, playing pitch and catch with the baseball the pink stuff and girly clothes has to go to her room. She does have a pink ball glove, pink helmet, and a pink Easton Bat though. The boys she is playing against needs to know they are getting whooped by a girl! She loves it though!
    Just my .02.

12. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I say enjoy the fact that she wants to be with ya, it will come to a screeching halt soon enough. Then you'll be the biggest a hole on the planet.
    And she is a girl....

13. chalet2506

I agree that it's about spending time together. However, I get tired of everything being commercialized. It seems to me that if I'm being a good dad, I'll go with something plain to keep the emphasis on time together and fishing, and not on the "cool" Barbie fishing pole.

Barbie has nothing to do with fishing. There's no "Barbie goes fishing with Friends" video out there. You can't get a "Trout Fishin" Barbie complete with waders and a fly rod. Why the hell would they put her on a fishing pole? It seems like I'm sending the wrong message.

Come on people - Anti-Bling, isn't that what CK5 is all about?

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

So buy the Barbie pole and Real Tree (R) that ****er:D

Ira

15. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think your absolutely wrong on this.

Divorce Barbie got all that stuff from Ken in the divorce agreement:haha:

16. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

I think you are really starting to over analyze this. :D

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ahh, so we found a hole in the market! :haha: :haha:

I don't see any harm in it. She's still going to be fishing with you, and she may use the Barbie pole once and not like it, or it may just make her fishing experience that much "cooler" with Dad.

But I can kinda see how it's like a "toys at the dinner table" kinda thing.

If it bothers you, you should have a chat with her about it. Maybe it's a good setup for the smoking and drug talk, something like "Even though it's made in a factory and looks good, it's not really appropriate."

18. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Get her the barbie pole! It won't hurt. Just be happy she still wants to go fishing with you. There will be a time that she won't want anything to do with you and you'll wish you had bought her the barbie poll.

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If she likes the Barbie pole, she will want to use it, will practice (play) with it and will want to go fishing that much more.

20. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My six year old wants the barbie poll also. I just let her use the 7 foot surfcasting poll. With really minimum instuction she can cast better than her older brother. Just do not give her the poll with the braided line on it!!!:doah: