Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some E-Bay advice...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ARAMP1, Aug 16, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Okay, I won an auction for a huge 80 inch by 80 inch GULF gasoline sign that I was going to hang in my garage. They quoted me $45 which I thought was a little on the cheap side, but I didn't think too hard about it. Anyway, I paid instantly after winning the auction with Pay Pal. I got an instant e-mail back saying that they received the payment and the sign would go out this morning. Well, I get back this evening and I have this e-mail in my in box.

"i am writing this letter to you because I have encountered a HUGE problem. I went to ship your item today and my shipping company told me it was going to cost $225 to ship and $3.50 for insurance for a total of $228.50. I had quoted you $45 so this leaves me with a huge loss. I am not going to send this sign and lose that much money. I will have not made anything. I am offering you 2 different options. You can pay the $228.50 plus the bid of 137.50 and i will ship it or we can cancel the whole transaction--i will refund you the money you have paid and i will relist the sign with the shipping cost of 225.00. Please let me know what you would like to do as the sign is at the shipping company awaiting the decision. Thanks and sorry for any inconveniece. I thought the sign could go fedex or ups. But becuase of it being 4' x 4' it has to go through an independent company."

I know it was an honest mistake on their part. Should I just get my money back and drop it? Any suggestions?

2. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

yeah probably,I lost my ass one time shipping a dash pad because it to long and considered "oversize".If they are willing to give your money back and maybe a good feedback I'd just forget about it.$228 seems awful high to me.I have shipped cases from Tenn to the west coast for around $150

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Hey, you're a flyboy. Make some phone calls and find some transit or courier flights heading your way. A fifth will go a long way with a crew chief.:D

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Get your money back ASAP. If they dont refund your money. File a dispute!
    I have shipped many oversize items. No way a sign should cost 225 dollars unless shipped overnite.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

ya no kidding, I had a dana 60 shipped from ny to cali and it cost me $200:eek1:

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If they will refund the $$ in full, take it and move on.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You say 80x80", he says 4'x4' and the last time I checked that was only 48x48", are you sure hes being honest...?

9. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Get the loot back, guy must not ship much. something that size going inter state could well be $200.00. Especially if he does not have an account with a discount.

10. ARAMP1

Here is the auction. 80"x73" I've e-mailed the person back and forth and they seem to be a straight shooter. They did refund my payment in full, but I really want the sign.

11. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

That is what I thought,but his feedback is 1850.

12. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Is it considered fragile maybe?

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

he got it relisted with the right shipping quotes for your area. Since you really want it maybe you can get it cheap in the auction. But you still will have to pay the 250 in shipping.

14. ARAMP1

F that S. I don't want it that bad. :crazy:

15. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I dont blame you, hey if your a nice guy I could get a hold of my uncle. He is big time into trading and selling oldie stuff, the man has a veritable plethora of old cars, gas pumps, signs, woodies (the car sickos), gas cans, old oil cans and anything else car related between the years of 1920 to 1970. Where are you located at? My uncles a little frugle but I know you would find all kinds of neat stuff you could put in your garage if you wanted to.

16. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Maybe The brotherhood could spring for some enamel paint and some aluminum.... you know.. a personal sign just for you
    "CK5 OIL... motor oil of champions"

Yep.. that would be a cool sign... we could put a 67 k5,,, a 55 3100 series with a napco drive... maybe even an old 6 x....on it

Now... who can we get to paint it for you...