Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some ebrake help...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Sep 5, 2002
    I have a 75 14bolt FF in my 75K5. It has the drums on there and no ebrake, my last 10 bolt didn't have a ebrake either so no cable from the T-case area back. When I was installing the 14bolt the bleeder screws broke off so I said [darn] it and bought some disc brackets and rotors and was going to put those on but now I might be moving and will have to get a safety inspection on my blazer so I need a e-brake.
    I have a np203 so it looks like a T-case mounted one is out of the question.
    I have searched on drums and have read that stock ebrake cables won't work for the drums.
    Caddy calipers from what I've read needs special springs and levers to get them to work plus custom cables.
    Are these my only options?
    I was really looking forward to rear discs but just need something that will get me to pass an inspection, and they look like a pain in the ass to get an e-brake working. If I bought 3/4 ton e-brake cables there has to be a way to join them to my existing setup, only problem is that I never looked at my brakes yet so they might need to be replaced aswell and I've read that its very expensive.
    Am I screwed or are there any other options?
    I have a little less than a month to get this figured out, please help /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
  2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

May 7, 2001
    I have a half ton truck that I converted to disks in the rear.I used the caddy calipers and stock parking brake cables. They are a little long. I went to the threaded adjuster for the cables and ran a die down the existing threads and made more threads towards the front of the cable. Another thing you can do is put a set of cable stops on the stock cables to shorten them up. I have also seen at some auto parts stores in the help section, cable clamps that are used on streched brake cables? I found a set of caddy calipers in the junk yard and bought them. One for a core for the new ones I bought and Two for the arms and springs. I think someone here has posted that those parts were available from caddy but I could be wrong. My system worked fine with just using the die and making more threads. Last result find someone with a cable sweger or buy a set of cable from AZ-Kickin' offroad supply.