Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some Firefox help...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GMCJason, Aug 11, 2006.

1. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

I was hoping somebody might be able to help me with a Firefox issue that is affecting my editor when posting/replying. When trying to post I can't insert a smilie and the [More] link for the pop-up window for more smilies doesn't do anything. I also can't insert a carriage return in the text for a new paragraph. Anybody else seen this or know why it might be happening? I'm using the advanced editor, smilies are not disabled and I can use my login on a different PC with the same version of Firefox or the problem PC and IE and everything works fine so I have to think there is a problem with this particular instance of Firefox. The only technical clue I have is the JavaScript console in Firefox displays the error "vB_Text_Editor is not defined" when navigating to the editor page. I don't know what this means but apparently vB_Text_Editor is, or supposed to be, defined in the code for the editor page. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and sorry for the single paragraph but if I could insert a line break...

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Try changing the editing options on the forum. Stand by and I will get details.................

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Try using the standard editor. When this forum software came out, I was having problems with Firefox, about the same as you described. I simply switched over to the standard editor and things were back to normal..............

4. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Bubba. I'm using the Standard editor to reply and have the same problem.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Have you tried closing it out and restarting the browser? I know every so often, Firefox will get buggy with forums and that's all I have to do to get rid of it. Happens maybe every couple of months or something.

6. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Yes, in fact I've rebooted my computer and reinstalled Firefox with no success in fixing the problem. I suppose it's not a real big deal but I hate it when things don't work as they are supposed to. Thanks for your help.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Reinstalling Firefox won't change the preferences file that often hoses things.

If it were me, I would delete the file

c:\documents and settings\yourusername\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\somerandombunchofcrap.default\prefs.js

and then reinstall Firefox. Even uninstalling Firefox won't delete that file, among others. You could delete the entire somerandombunchofcrap.default folder, but then you'd lose your bookmarks too :)

-- A

8. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Thanks dremu. Deleting the prefs.js file and reinstalling didn't help either but you did point me in the right direction. I went ahead and saved my bookmarks.html file and uninstalled Firefox, deleted the whole Mozilla folder and then reinstalled.

Seems to work now. Thanks!! :bow:

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

So now you can copy and paste..............:eek: I'll have to watch what I say. :D

10. dremu

Dayum. That means some of the other components were corrupt ... that's some pretty bad juju, and Firefox is usually well-behaved with this stuff. (I'm still supporting several tens of thousands of Netscape 7.2 users :eek1: , who I am trying VERY hard to get to migrate to Firefox / Thunderbir!)

-- A

11. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it was ugly. I figured I might as well reinstall it since I had some time and it wouldn't load the Firefox logo on the google search page because something was corrupt.

Was really pretty painless. Just moved my bookmark file out to my desktop, unistalled the app, deleted the Mozilla folder under my user profile, reinstalled Firefox, moved my bookmarks back over and reinstalled my extensions.

Wow, you must be supporting every last Netscape user. :D:haha:

12. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I still get netscape users. I strongly encourage firefox/thunderbird. I use thunderbird and I love it.

13. dremu

One word: Work. :deal:

They were given Netscape looong before I came here, as an alternative Outlook / IE ... and they're still using it. Grrr.

-- A