Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some gear heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by google, Jun 3, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

Heya guys. Got a problem. I think my timing is off and I don't know how to fix it. The truck runs strong and hard, but i'm starting to get a fule smell from the exhaust. After it gets to running temp, it will start to do some sputtering quiet backfires. It also boggs down for a sec when I hit the gas from a stop. I replace the timing vaccume thingy by the distributer, but that didn't help. Being that I only get about 6 miles a gallon, smelling unused fule is really pissing me off. Could I just be getting all the because there are no cats, no muffler, and no back window? Thanks for any help I can get.

[​IMG]

2. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

You probably have a carb adjustment problem.

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

Well, that would be easy then. The motor has a fairly new rebuild, but the carb is old. I was about to get another one. I have found from a previous post from someone else that a 600 would be best for my 350, but what brand? The motor is late 70s early 80s vette motor. That's about all I know about it. Just got the truck.

4. bradrenea

bradrenea Newbie

Looks like the carb on it is an Edelbrock or Carter. That is probably one of the better carburetors for a truck in my opinion. You can get a rebuild kit for it for around $35. If you are going to off road much you can get an off-road needle and seat kit as well. If you are standing at the front of the truck there should be some numbers stamped on the left side carb flange. The first series of numbers should tell the specs of the carb. If it is a 1406 then its a 600 CFM Edelbrock. 1405 is a 600 CFM with a manual choke, your electric choke could have been added on. 1407 and 1411 are 750 CFM. I am not real sure on the part numbers for the Carters.

5. google

google 1/2 ton status

Could there be an answer in the unused fuel smell if the carb is putting in too much fuel for the size/hp of the motor?

6. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Yes, mine was doing the same thing. I just got a replacement from Autozone for ~$120.

7. bradrenea

bradrenea Newbie

First off, check the part number on the carb to see what size it is. If it's a 750, get a 600. If its a 600, check to see that the electric choke is working properly. If it is not opening up all the way it would cause a rich condition, which would cause poor performance, bad gas mileage, and raw fuel smell. Other things to check would be air screw adjustment and float level.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a carb problem to me.

If you are just going to drive it on the street the edelbrock can work good (if tuned right). It might pay to take it to a good carb shop and have them reubild it and jet it right.

If you are going to do any offroading with it you want a factory Q-jet or (from what I have heard but haven't seen myself) the new offroad holley.

You can get some nice looking Q-jets at the j/y. Rebuilt ones (from parts stores) are often crap. If you get a parts store Q-jet make sure it is a lifetime one and keep swapping them out till you get one that works.