Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Some Good Advice

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Peeetah, Dec 17, 2000.

1. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

I just got a new CB radio and antenna today. I have three questions. First, would it be ok to splice in the power from my current stereo to power the CB? Could i play them at the same time? Secondly, I am using a ball mount to hold the antenna. How do I make sure it doea not ground out on the car? Thirdly, the antenna company (Firestick) keeps talking about SWR. Do i adjust this by screwing and unscrewing the antenna on top? How do I test this? Any thoughts would be very appreciated because I'm going to tackle this thing on tuesday.

2. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

I would run a seperate fused power wire straight from the battery because either the stereo or cb could be damaged from incorrect voltage causing one or both of them to not operate to full capacity. I'm not sure on the ball mount but I think in order to get a good ground you have to do the same thing as a mirror mount and run a ground wire from the antenna to the chassis or frame. As far as SWR's go, they must be between 1-2 or you will toast you finals. Go to radio shack and buy an SWR/power meter for between 15-30 bucks. SWR stands for standing wave ratio and the lower it is the better you will talk. It is pretty simple to do just key the radio like you want to talk, switch the meter to CAL adjust the calibration knob to where the meter reads CAL(usually to the far right). Then simply switch the meter to SWR and read the reading. Move your antenna up and down until the reading is under 2 then check all the channels. They should all be close to the same reading, if they are way off, then just keep playing around until they are close on channel 1 and channel 40. Hope I covered all your questions.