Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some gun help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chalet2506, Oct 19, 2006.

1. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I posted this on Reloadersnest.com, but traffic over there is generally pretty slow.. I figure someone over here probably wil know. Redfield 1 piece base / redfield rings.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Decided to replace the scope on a custom Peruvian 7x57. Took the old scope off and the front ring base is loose in the dovetail. Not wobbly loose, just loose enough that I can turn it by hand and not have to use a dowel. First time I've had the scope off since I bought this gun about 2 years ago and the gun has been holding its zero. Bought it off a buddy of mine, and according to him it sat in the closet for the last 20 years. Do I need to replace the rings, base, whole gettup, or just put it back together. Any help appreciated.[/FONT]

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'd replace the rings. IME it's usually the rings that wear the most when twisting them into the base(s). Sounds like you may not need to, but it'd suck to miss that 8 pointer b/c you didn't.

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

What he said, new rings and/or bases are not all THAT expensive.
    ...RIGHT!

4. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

that's what I was thinking. just hate to spend the money if I don't have to. I'll post some pictures of the big one a little later in the season.:D