Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help/ Advice several K5 topics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sarazk5, Oct 2, 2002.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I haven't posted in a while, just thought I would make one post with several questions I have. And Advice needed.

1. Ghost Wipers:
    What piece causes this problem. Is it the switch in the dash? The wiper motor? The computer thingy? Also, when i put water in the washer fluid box, my wipers continually spray while on... never stop till the box is empty. Any ideas? I know this has been discussed, i tried a search and nothing came up.

2. Clunking Under Truck - Driving me Nutso!
    This happens under feet or near tranny area. I have dropped the tcase 1". Put new tranny mounts under transcase. Can't find anything that is loose. Body mounts are fine also. Exhaust has all been rewelded.

3. Rear Locker:
    Does anyone have a Detroit EZ locker? I want something in the rear... but I don't want to pay 500.00 for a Detroit locker. Any experience with the EZ Locker? It is only like 269.00.

4. ORD Shackle Flip:
    I have heard good and bad about these, I want to get rid of my blocks. What is the problem with these and towing? I will only be towing occassionally, it is a daily driver.

5. Dash lights:
    My dash lights currently don't work. They stopped working after my stereo was installed.. What are the options that would cause them not to work?

6. Heater/A/C
    My heater isn't working, this is seperate from the dash, it has always worked on and off... currently in its off stage! What could be the problem? Everything is hooked up. I checked the fuse. Could it be the switch?

Thank you soooooo much for any help in advance!!!!! I'm sure I'll be adding to this list of delimas

Sara /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

#1. My wipers would go on also.. I think it has to do with the module,also my switch in steering column shorted out.

#2. No idea.My K5 makes all kinda noises.

#3. I would also like to know /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

#4. PM Grim. He has a horror story /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

#5. Fuse?

#6. You called it!

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

1. Ghost wipers, I still don't understand what is happening, maybe when I see it I can help you on that.
    2. Did you check for the body mounts, I had some worn out and had the same thing, also do you have a manual or auto tranny? the manual has the clutch linkage in that area and I have had some noise come out from that.
    3. I have the same as the EZ locker, it's the Quick Lock and I have it front and rear, it's cheap, easy to install took me 2 hours for the first, 1 hour for the second once I knew what I was doing, It is fine up to 35" tires and it might hold up to 38" depending on your right foot /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    4. I haven't used the ORD shackle, but I had designed something similar and I never had problems with it, towing or not. It's much better than blocks if that's what you have now.
    5. Dash lights, when I figure out what is wrong with mine I will let you know how to fix it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif it works sometimes and sometimes not.
    6. A/C Heater: your problem is most likely in the switches. The problem with all GM electricals has been direct wiring. I learned from european and Japanese cars the use of relays, to lighten the load on switches, then you will have a better performance out of the switch even if it's a smaller unit. I do that for lights, starter, heater, A/C and Radio as well as electric fans, if so equiped.
    If you have any other problems just fire away.
    IceMan

4. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

1. Ghost Wipers:
    My wiper control module had a fried trace on it (they didn't work at all). After fixing the trace, the wipers came on once every time I started the car. I'm going to give it one more try, but I'll probably end up replacing the module. I'm convinced that that's where the problem lies -- not in the switch or the motor. This would also account for your endless spray problem; I'd unplug your sprayer until you get that fixed, or you'll probably fry it (if you haven't already).

2,3,4: /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Dash Lights:
    Fuse and/or grounded out lead. One of the leads to the stereo is for the instrument lights -- probably gray. Check that this lead isn't grounding out.

6. Heater/A/C:
    I'm assuming you mean that the blower motor isn't working. If you have a voltage meter or a 12v circuit tester, you can check the leads going into the blower to see if they're hot (in the engine compartment). If so, it _could_ be the blower itself -- but it's hard to say without a little more investigation.

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey nice to see you in orange,...lol

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    6. Heater/A/C
    My heater isn't working, this is seperate from the dash, it has always worked on and off... currently in its off stage! What could be the problem? Everything is hooked up. I checked the fuse. Could it be the switch?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you if you replace the blower relay it will be fixed...I belive it is under the hood and right on the A/C box under the hood.. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Clunking Under Truck - Driving me Nutso!
    This happens under feet or near tranny area. I have dropped the tcase 1". Put new tranny mounts under transcase. Can't find anything that is loose. Body mounts are fine also. Exhaust has all been rewelded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check out the spring bushings and u-joint..maybe

5. Dash lights:
    My dash lights currently don't work. They stopped working after my stereo was installed.. What are the options that would cause them not to work?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you cant find the problem then try replacing the headlight switch,they can go bad very easy or take a look at where and what wires the stero shop spliced into and move the ones if any they tapped into...mike

6. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Some things I have found on my Sub that seem similar.
    #1 - The wiring from the wiper switch rubs(shorts) on the headlight switch. When I touch the h/l switch the wipers make one pass.

#2 - Pick one. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#3 - I have the 14Bff so it won't be an issue.

#4 - I'm going with the ORD flip, I can't see it really affecting my towing ability.

#5 - Double check your stereo wiring and fuses. Maybe you shorted something while you were doing the install. Pinched or cut wire or possibly pulled a tap wire out of the fuse block.

#6 - My blower fan quits working every once in a while. Check the plug that goes into the heater box under the hood. It has 4-5 wires going into it, the large guage one gets corroded or something, I just cut 1/2" off, put a new connector on it and everything works again. Mine has been altered though, I don't have a plug, just the wires with crimp on connectors.

Hope this helps,
    Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I have checked all of my fuses.. My headlight switch is brand new, so is my dimmer switch. I'll have to check on the other stuff. My ubolts are fine. I do however need to change out my rear spring bushings, and my front and rear shackle to frame bushings. I am going to order the Hill4x4 front ext. shackles to stop my front spring shackle from hitting the frame. What kind of noises/vibrations could a rearend make before going capoots?

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

What's Grim's horror story? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

#2-Mine just started doing it about 6 weeks ago. Still don't know why, but it's frustrating. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifI suspect it is something to do with the drag link (?) ends or ball joints.
    #5-Probably pulled the wiring harness out of the instrument cluster. Reach back behind the speedo and check to make sure the plug is fully in the socket. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

10. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

We replaced both drag links and tie rods about 2 weeks ago. We thought it could have been a culprit! to no avail. My ball joints are fine, I'm telling you we have done soooo much eliminating!

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean! The only thing I haven't done that I know is in need is the ball joints.

John

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I bet you if you replace the blower relay it will be fixed...I belive it is under the hood and right on the A/C box under the hood..

[/ QUOTE ] The blower relay is only used for "High" speed. The lower speeds go through resistors, the highest speed is direct through the relay.

The only time I've had the blower stop working altogether was from a blown fuse. It could also be the main hot wire that goes to the blower speed switch.

13. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

#3, easy locker is just like the pwrtrax lock right...i hear the lockrite is better than the detroit ez... but i had the lokcright, its an OK unit, very noisy clunking and clicking. I broke mine dumping the clutch (alot /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) in the sand about 2 weeks after i put it in... of course i have 10bolts, 4.56, and 35" tires. So stock, it should be decently strong

14. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

i have 12 bolt rear, will have 4.10s put in with whatever i choose to go with, run 35" tires... so not stock.

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

As I said I have the powertrax which is a little stronger and a little cheaper than the EZ but exactly the same design, and I have the 12 bolt with 35" tires, I have not been in sand yet, but I have been driving it like crazy with a big torquey diesel and on trails with mud rocks snow, still doing great. Plus if I break something it will be those pins, and I have a spare set, I can even change them on the trail, but so far no problem.
    IceMan

16. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

how much was the powertrax? If i get my gears done now.. wanna help me install that later? hehe
    Sara

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

No problem, I think it was 260 but now that I know I can get a 10% discount (CAL4wheel member) it should be cheaper.
    And I would help you install it. We just have to figure out when /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    IceMan

18. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I bought it for 255 at National Tire and Wheel... easy install =)