Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some help again...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 17, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Why does my power steering pump squeal like a pig that just found out it is gonna be bacon for Sunday breakfast. I seems to be fine when I'm crusing along and have speed through corners...But if I have to parallel park or need to turn the wheels w/ going forward or back, the belt squeals. I just replaced the hoses and put new fluid in. Could this just be a loose belt or some oil on the belt or what....I've already tried belt dressing and that seemed to help for a bit...any ideas fellas?

1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]

2. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Worn belt/pulley and poor pulley alignment could be some of the causes.

<font color=black> -Tommy
    <font color=red>"To secure peace is to prepare for war..."

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

get a new belt and tighten the damn thing down very tight

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

4. fortcollinsram

Will the slipping belt cause the "thrusting" and "jerking" I noticed in the steering wheel? I seem to be able to turn the wheel easily like 1/3 of a turn then when the squealing starts, the amount of force required to turn the wheel varies from tremendous to normal...

1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Well if your belt is slipping your pump isn't working to it's full potential so that is whyy you steering wheel is harder to turn.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

6. fortcollinsram

Money [​IMG]. That is what I wanted to hear... I'll put a new belt on tomorrow and we'll see wha happens...thanks for your help

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> You should avoid keepng it at full turn for any period of time ......... The groaning ( not squeeling ) you're probaby hearing is the pump under maximum pressure due to the full turn of the wheel ..........you ever notice that it quits when you back off of the turn a little ?

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

8. fortcollinsram

I understand not to keep the wheel at full lock... but this has been happening at like a 1/3 of a turn on the wheel....sometimes less when the engine is cold....I am pretty sure it is just the belt...I am going to tighten it before I leave to go home to Denver tomorrow and I will replace it this next week during break as I will be performing a general tune-up anyways....I will let you know if anything changes... Thanks for all the input...
    Peace,
    Chris

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

did you bleed it properly when you replaced the hoses and fluid?.....maybe prolly ya got air in the lines?....that would cause "flat" spots.....

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

10. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Top up your fluid.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>