Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some help, any would be GREATLY appreciated

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72K5BEAST, Mar 19, 2002.

1. 72K5BEAST

72K5BEAST Registered Member

Ok, the truck just won't stay on. It idles fine out of gear and idles fine in gear as well...but when it warms up it dies. It idles fine right when i turn it on and i can drive about a block, then i have to give it CONSTANT fuel or it will die. I know my timing is set to 0 right now, could that be the prob? Thanks everyone.

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Yes, do a basic tune-up. Also what mods or not are you running?

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Vacume leak! Or loose carborator bolts. Sounds like too much air is getting in at idel. A trick is to spray carb cleaner around the carb and if the rpm raises when you spray it in a spcific area you have found your leak.
    just my .02c
    good luck

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

SOunds like perhaps its running on the choke, but the curb idle speed is too low or idle mix is wrong. What kind of carb?

A good sized vac leak (constant) will lead to a start/stall condition when cold, then lopey idle if it will even idle in gear.

5. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I dont know a whole lot about carbs, but i was recently having a problem with mine and my mechanic expalined some of the basics to me. It sounds kinda like the choke setting is wrong. I runs fin in the first stages but afetr the Fast Idle cam drops down a few stages, the choke door stays open to far and lets too much air in. Depeninding on the carb, the location could verry slightly, but on my edlebrock quad, the screw is sticking up hard to miss on the left hand side as you are lookinging in on the motor from the front. This screw adjust haw far the choke plate opens... Could also be a veriable of other choke problems, or something entirly different all togeather, but that is what I think based on my basic knowledge of a carb.
    good luck,
    Ike

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I know my timing is set to 0 right now, could that be the prob?

<hr></blockquote>
    Most sbc's are set around 8 degrees BTDC...at '0' it would have crappy power and stall in gear unless the idle was turned up a lot (kinda like the fast idle circuit when cold)

Get it timed properly and go from there. I wouldn't mess with the carb until it's timed to spec...

Rene

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I've been fighting the hell out of my carb for the past few weeks and it wasnt until only one emergency blinker came on that I found the problem. Yes you read that right. I found out I only had one emergency blinker working and for some reason I went digging in the fusebox. Unfortunately my fusebox has no ID's on the fuse positions, so 1 by 1 I pulled all the fuses out and the choke fuse was burned. Thus my carb wasnt working for squat!!! Now all the emergency flashers work, but only when the key is on, Dunno HOW in the hell THAT happened!!! So anyway, back to your post . If you have an electrical choke, check your source. Good Luck!!

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd say set the timing at 8* BTDC and then see what happens.
    8 degrees is a lot to be off on the timing dude, and it will make one hell of a difference!

The choke would be the first thing to come to mind...
    It's probally an electric choke... See that wire running to the side of your carburator... with the engine running, take a voltmeter to it and make sure you have 12 volts there... if not theres your problem...
    There should also be a little ground wire maybe coming from a terminal and grounding to a screw on the carb... make sure that is nice and tight!
    Take off the air cleaner and make sure the choke valve or the big cover over the primary venturii's of the carb is fully open when the engine gets all the way warmed up!

I'm suprised no one has suggested maybe the float level is too high or the floats/ needle and seat valve are sticking... and maybe allowing too much fuel.
    I've had several carbs that have done this, and they do from time to time, when it gets gunk or a little grain of sand preventing the needle and seat valve in the carb from closing all the way.

What carb are you running&gt;?
    You said it runs rough... can you rev it up and kind of "blow it out"? Is there black smoke coming out of the exhaust? Does it smell like raw or unburnt gas?

my 2 cents hope this helps.