Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some help fast with gear install on 14bff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jan 27, 2005.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I cant get the pinion gear out so I am having it pressed out tomorrow at a machine shop, is there a bearing that is pressed on the pinion gear or just in the housing for the pinion gear??
    Thanks alot
    -Chris

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

You shouldn't have to press the pinion out. Just undo the bolts on the pinion housing and the entire assembly should pop out of the housing. Pinion housing bolts are the ones on the outside of the housing surrounding the yoke. 6 I think. Ya might have to get brass punch or somthing and tap on the end of the pinion from the inside, but there shouldn't be any need to have it pressed out. And to answer your question, yes there are bearings pressed onto the pinion itself. :D

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

ok thanks, yea I already got the pinion assembly out its just getting the pinion gear out of the assembly piece, we tried a 12 ton press and even heated it up with a rosebud but it didnt even budge, so I am going to take it to my friends machine shop and hopefully he can get it out.