Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need some help finding this!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Apr 23, 2005.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

i am looking for one of the fiberglass spoilers that mount to the rear edge of the cab roof seen commonly on tow rigs. The style I am looking for reminds me of an old Z28 rear spoiler if that helps. Any ideas where I could buy one?

2. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

why do you want one of those?

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

to go on the back of my crewcab as a small spoiler to reduce wind drag.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

JCWhitney perhaps.............................

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I tried their online site and no luck. I guess I'll need to pull out my copy of their catalouge and see if I can find it in there. I know LUND makes similar "modernized" versions for the newer truck but not for ours. I see them often on older trucks chevy,ford and dodge just can't seem to find one.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the lund racer back mounts to the cab:mad: the fast back mounts to the box:D just some info for ya.

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Yeah I know but what I am looking for ataches to the top of the cab above the rear window and looks like a small spoiler like on older camaros think 68 body style.

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Maybe an RV dealership or someone that sells full bodied trailers is where I would start. I haven't seen them in any magazines or any of the places I tend to frequent. Mostly I have seen them on trucks towing RV's or full bodied trailers.

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Mwuhahaha.

Umm, seriously, to reduce wind drag on your crewcab, replace the whole truck with the Camaro you're thinking of. Spoiler or not, the fricken truck has the aerodynamic coefficient of a brick -- and a 7' wide 6' tall brick that's 20' long :haha:

I really don't see something that small making enough of a difference in your fuel economy to pay for itself. Really. Bling factor, sure. But if you're after bling, say so :D

-- A

11. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Its 22 feet bumper to bumper :grin: and I guess I should have said helps smooth air flow which it does as I have witnessed on my dads truck (an old F250) It basically keeps the air from dropping strait into the bed off the back of the cab and gives a pocket of about 2 1/2 feet behind the cab. When I go camping I cary a cooler and occaisionally a couple duffle bags on top of my tool box and at highway speeds the wind keeps messing with things and beating them all to hell even when they are tied down. We used to do the same on my dads truck and never had a problem cause the little spoiler worked just enough to prevent this problem. I'm not expecting extra mileage or any thing like that just don't have room in the bed once the bikes are loaded and had holes worn in one of my military duffles after just a few trips. I don't want the racer back style cause then I couldn't use the tool box.

12. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

13. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

Don't know if its quite what you want but try looking at the roof rack companies. I know yakima and thule sell a front plate that mounts onto cars and trucks to reduce noise and wind resistance on roof racks. otherwise sorry no idea.

14. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well since I can't seem to find one specifically for our style truck and the price of the one for the F150 is so much I am thinking of doing something similar to the roof racks but using a headache rack. basically just having a plate welded to a headache rack that will sit just above the top of the cab and do the same job of keeping turbulance down just behind the cab and still let me use the tool box. It just might work! :thinking:

15. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Okay, that makes sense.

But with the biga$$ winch bumper and spare up front mine's longer :haha:

Seriously ... if it were me, I'd either look through the local classifieds (got Craigslist?) for a ricer going broke ... or maybe get one of the wind deflectors off a Burb or Blazer?

-- A